Existing Member?

Walt's Costa Rica Adventure

Update

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 12 October 2016 | Views [362] | Comments [1]

Last I wrote I was in Dominical.  I have moved north up the Pacific coast now.  I rented a car so that I could get to all the places I want to go and am really glad I did.  From Dominical I went to Jaco and stayed there for two nights.  Jaco is the closest beach to San Jose so it is somewhat touristy.  It has a nice long white beach.  I had three opportunities to buy pot or cocaine on the street while there.  Herradura is a horseshoe shaped bay just North of Jaco with a high class marina and residential development.

From Jaco I drove north to Puntarenas and took the ferry to Paquera then drove to Montezuma which is a very small village near the southern point of the Nicoya Peninsula.  The area is sparsely populated and known as a hippy and surfer hang out.  I was real glad to have 4 wheel drive since the dirt roads were muddy, narrow, rough, and sometimes steep but otherwise good.

From Montezuma I drove around the tip of the peninsula and up through the areas of Santa Theresa/Malpais also very big surfing areas where the jungle meets the beach, still sparsely populated.  Had to back track a long ways since at one point the river was flowing to high across the road to pass.  Made it as far as Samara.

Samara is a small town on the northern Pacific coast with a beautiful beach.  Just south of Samara is Carrillo Beach which is as pretty as a beach can be.  It is a large curved cove protected from large surf by a reef and the white sand beach is lined with palm trees and with no one on it.

It was at Carrillo Beach my trip took a detour.  After walking on the beach and swimming for a while I thought I was having cardiac problems so I made it back to a medical clinic in Samara.  The doctor felt I needed to go to a private hospital in San Jose to be checked out so I took a two hour ride in an ambulance to Siberia where I got to ride in a medivac airplane to San Jose.  After a day in the ER and extensive tests they said there was nothing wrong with my heart.  The cardiologist didn’t speak any English but I think that is what he said.  So, back to Samara to pick up my rental car and now I’m staying four days in a cool B&B just outside of Tamarindo, just taking it easy. I’ll post some pictures.

Comments

1

So very happy that you are okay!!

  Karen Wiley Oct 15, 2016 4:54 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.