Existing Member?

Walt's Costa Rica Adventure

Travel Interruptus

NICARAGUA | Thursday, 22 September 2016 | Views [216]

Five new friends who also got bumped in Managua

Five new friends who also got bumped in Managua

Left Monday morning with one stop in Dallas before arriving in San Jose, Costa Rica at 6:00 pm.  Flight cancelled in Dallas because of Turrialba volcano in Costa Rica (one of 5 active in Costa Rica) spewing ash in air and on runway.  The new plan is to fly to Miami where I will catch a plane in the morning to Panama City, Panama then a 14 hour bus ride up the coast of Panama and Costa Rica to get me to my conference by Thursday.

New plan in Miami.  After loading on the plane for Panama City they announced that because of the volcano they took on a full load of jet fuel so now ithe plane was overweight.  The solution was to throw about eight of us off and I was one of the chosen ones.  The new plan was to fly to Managua, Nicaragua that evening and connect with Copa Airline which would get us into San Jose that night.  For some reason Copa would not let us on the flight because they did not have enough time to transfer our bags so, American Airlines put us up in Managua for the night.  We did make it out Thursday morning in time for the start of the conference in the afternoon.  I learned a new word "tranquillo" which means "take it easy".

There were six of us stranded in Managua, two from France, one German, one Costa Rican, and one other guy Fargo, North Dakota.  We stayed together and had dinner and breakfast together which made it fun and interesting.  Ron, from Fargo, was also attending the conference so we continued to get together while in San Jose. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.