Existing Member?

Travel Photography Scholarship to South Africa (18-25 JAN 2012)

Day 8: A Rush Departure

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 3 March 2012 | Views [801]

I lifted my heavy head out of bed for a refreshing shower and before I headed downstairs for some coffee, I thought I’d take one more vengeful glance at that cloud above Table Mountain. But it wasn’t there! We could finally go on top of Table Mountain. This would definitely be part of Jason’s plan for the day (after our quick Photoshop editing session) and Guts would surely welcome the idea before Jason departs since he never minds another close call racing to the airport.

On my way to meet the guys, I passed by Jason’s room and saw him packing his gear! It turned out he had issues with his travel booking and his flight was actually leaving from Johannesburg, not Cape Town. Luckily, after making a few calls over a quick breakfast, it was all sorted out, but this meant he had to be at the airport in the next 20 minutes. We helped him finish packing his heavy gear and broke a new speed record as we made it to the airport. Everything happened so fast that before I knew it I was bidding my farewells to a great photographer and a good friend. I’d been very fortunate to assist him and be mentored by him on this learning trip which has reshaped my approach to photography but it was over now.

We were feeling a bit disappointed and out of synch but we nonetheless made our way to Table Mountain to take it off the list. However, we soon saw that the 1-km road leading to the bottom of the mountain was packed with hundreds of visitors’ cars and tourist buses so we reluctantly changed our minds. Instead, I decided to walk around Long Street and be a tourist in the few hours I had left while Guts finished some errands in the area. Due to a little delay, we ended up having our last seafood lunch together in the minivan, racing once more towards the airport! Even that last meal was ruined thanks to a sharp stop at a red signal that sent our fried calamari flying onto the dashboard and landing on our lap. Still, we made it; we cleaned the mess laughing about the events of the day, I bid Guts farewell and he ran to catch his flight. I got my ticket and walked through the boarding gate bearing a wide smile on my face. What a trip! What a trip!   

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.