Existing Member?

Travel Photography Scholarship to South Africa (18-25 JAN 2012)

Day 4: The Rescue of the Valkyries

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 3 March 2012 | Views [941]

After only two hours of sleep, I was a zombie at 5:30 a.m. We checked out but I still wasn’t sure where we were heading. We stopped on our way for snacks and I grabbed 2 cans of Red Bull when I remembered our talk about a ride in the South African Defense Force Oryx helicopter, which Guts had arranged with a colonel he knew! Fantastic!

A 5-hour ride to Hoedspruit in Limpopo got us to a hospital helipad. The helicopter arrived and we met with the rescue team and a rescued couple whose house had been completely destroyed. South Africa hadn’t witnessed anything like that in the past 30 years but the team reassured us that there had been no fatalities since everyone had been rescued from the area.

       

We then boarded the huge Oryx helicopter with its side doors removed. It was my first time in a helicopter and that was not a normal one either. We were about 12 people inside and there was still room for more. I parked myself in the back with Guts, Jason buckled up in the middle and Dan was filming from the front. Soon we were up in the air. I wasn’t fastened to anything, but the sheer force of the air coming in from the side doors helped me balance myself. Feeling safe and confident, I started enjoying the scenery and moving from one side to the other. It was hard to focus, compose and shoot photos while standing steadily; the easiest way was to crawl towards the doors and kneel. Very little communication is possible in this noisy setting so it’s good thing I remembered Jason’s advice to increase the ISO to benefit from faster shutter speeds.

We arrived above the flooded area and I could see the aftermath of the floods; areas soaked in water, washed-out trees and shattered houses. It was a mess. Then the rescuers demonstrated a rescue drill for our benefit. The pilot hovered towards the Three Rondawels peaks, the Blyde River Canyon – the 3rd largest canyon in the world – and the Lowveld view point.

On the way back, the pilot went crazy and performed exciting maneuvers in the sky that made my day! Imagine a full wide view of the land on one side of the door, and a view of the vast open sky on the other side. That is one heck of an adrenaline boost!

We finally made it back and landed after almost a 2-hour helicopter ride. We collected some more information about the rescue operation and headed to Manyeleti Game Reserve.

We arrived there and made it straight into the park, as we had only 2 hours before the park closed and it was getting dark. When we stopped, Jason started filming eagles eating fire ants in the middle of the road but I gave my attention to a wildebeest behind us and walked towards it with camera in hand after Guts reassured me that it wouldn’t charge. I framed my shot, chose a shutter speed of 1/13 (ISO 1000) to motion blur the wildebeest as it ran into the bushes.

On the way back, we stopped to listen to the sounds of insects and various animals at a swamp, then made it back to the lodge for dinner by a campfire.

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.