Existing Member?

Travel Photography Scholarship to South Africa (18-25 JAN 2012)

Day 1: Meeting Jason and Assessing the Challenges of the Trip

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 3 March 2012 | Views [1107]

D-Day: I arrived at Beirut International Airport to catch my afternoon flight to Abu Dhabi. Finally, after a tense 1-hour delay, I sprinted through the airport in a blur of people and hallways until I barely felt the weight of my heavy 10 kilo camera gear load on my shoulders. You could say I was overly excited about this trip!

From Abu Dhabi, the flight to Johannesburg was smooth; after 8 hours, I arrived at O.R. Tambo Airport where I was met by Simon, the taxi driver.  Although I had done my research on South Africa, what I saw was way beyond what I expected. I was fascinated by the beauty of Johannesburg: the vast green open spaces, the clean roads, nice compounds and malls. All along the way I harassed Simon with questions until we made it to the Dark Chocolate hotel.

It had been raining for the past two weeks and although it was 8:00 a.m., I snuck into my bed and get some sleep to store some energy for the hectic shooting days to come. Five hours later, I was up but Jason was out for lunch, so I spent a few hours reading in the garden and surfing the internet.

 

I was anticipating Jason’s arrival with mixed feelings; not having met him before, I didn’t know what to expect: what if he turned out to be serious and bossy? My thoughts were interrupted when he showed up with a big smile drawn on his face. It was a good way to start. We got to know one another and I immediately liked his straightforwardness. He sure talked a lot but he was funny as heck! We talked long and well about his experiences in Africa - one of his favorite wildlife destinations - as well as his insights about photography and equipment.

Jason heard there was a cyclone coming, a big storm with heavy showers over Kruger National Park. Several areas of the park were flooded and inaccessible. I shared his remark that a photographer is always subject to such unexpected natural circumstances that make his work more challenging. But that’s also part of the fun! We might end up covering a different story such as villages affected by the floods; on the other hand, we might also have higher chances to spot and film wild animals huddled on high grounds – or not, we’d see.

Videographer Dan Freene and our Gap Adventures guide Gerhard Swanepoel, aka “Guts” arrived in the afternoon and we sat down to plan our trip. Since all but two bridges leading to Kruger were closed, Guts recommended heading east to Entabeni Game Reserve Park. We then spent the rest of the evening getting to know one another and sharing stories over a tasty BBQ of steaks, chicken wings and the famous Boerewors sausages. I reckon I refilled my plate 3 times and Jason remarked that, although I was less than half his size, I still ate quite a lot.

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.