Existing Member?

On The Road This is a work in progress of past adventures, after the trips have come and gone. I travel every 11 weeks for 18 days, and love to give back to the travel community with information that may help others have a great adventure of their own!

China / Hong Kong / Macau

CHINA | Friday, 16 March 2012 | Views [551]

1 US Dollar = approx 7 HKD

Arrived in Hong Kong early evening on Saturday, and took Airport Express train ($90 HK) into Kowloon Station and transferred to free shuttle bus to Holiday Inn; walked to Chungking Mansion in about 5 minutes. Stayed at Happy Yeung Guest House: overpriced, but last minute. There was a large queue to get in the elevators, and the place doesn't have a very appealing feeling. There are better hostels that could be had from hostelworld's website in advance. Took a stroll around the Nathan Road area for the remainder of the evening.

Next morning, walked through Kowloon Park for a while which was quite nice; then took MTR to Central Station ($8.50 HK) and toured around the Landmark area including Mandarin Oriental Hotel; took in Victoria Peak (long wait in line for the gondola ride up); once reaching the top and taking a few requisite photos, I did the Morning Trail circuit until it started to get dark. Spent the evening wandering around the many cafes/restaurants that are in the Soho area of Hong Kong Island. Returned to Kowloon via Star Ferry (2.50 HKD) a few hours later.

Next morning (Monday), applied for a Chinese visa (across the road from Chungking Mansions, where you fill out a one-page application and they take your photo), and then took the ferry over the Central, and toured the antiques area of Hong Kong Island; toured some interesting galleries and window shopping; ate lunch. Toured the area of Avenue of the Stars and Hong Kong Polytechnic University School of Design. Picked up my passport after 6pm, and went for dinner in a cool area of restaurants in Kowloon.

Walked around another part of Kowloon this morning, and then took the train to Shanghai at 3:15 pm (every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) from Hong Hom train station (18 hours). Got top bunk in hard sleeper. Made a note to enquire about bottom sleepers in the future, as they are easier to get out of, and you can sit up on them when you don't want to lay down. Had dinner in the dining car. Considering the length of the trip, it seemed to go by rather quickly.

1 US Dollar = approx 6.3 yuan

Arrived in Shanghai, and walked from train station down to the Bund, where I got a single room (260 yuan) at Captain Hostel near the Bund (37 Fuzhou Rd). After settling in, toured the Bund and some of the central area. The following day, walked the Nanjing Road shopping street with lots of mega department stores (and lots of toots and women asking if I wanted a lady for the night), and did some more general sightseeing. The following day, toured Old Town which was packed with tour groups; French Concession which was one of my favorite areas of the city; and in the early evening, took the public ferry (2 yuan) to the Pudong side of Huangpu River for a stroll and a bite to eat. For such a large city, it felt smaller than I had expected.

Next morning, bought a high-speed train ticket to Beijing (560 yuan) and headed for the train station. 5 hour duration at 300 km/h. Due to technical difficulties, the trip took longer than expected (extra four hours).

Because I got in later than expected, it was dark. Got a single room at Super 8 in Xienmen area (208 yuan). Would have preferred a hotel with a tour desk (which ended up being just down the street from where I stayed).

Following morning, toured the very popular Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City, and then walked along the street running east to west, and through a couple of neighbourhoods and their hutongs. Beijing's metro system is always very packed with people at any time of day or evening.

Walked a portion of the Great Wall the next morning at Badaling (bus from Xienmen area. This proved to be much tougher than expected as the steps are often quite steep. The hilly scenery was spectacular. In the afternoon, took the subway to the Olympic Stadium area and walked around (the open plazas are massive).

Next day, I toured another area of Beijing near the Lama Temple, and then toured the temple itself. Walked quite a bit later in the afternoon, trying to soak in a little more of Beijing prior to my departure later that evening.

Arrived in Xian in the morning after an overnight train (12 hours) and got a room at Han Tang Hostel for 140 RMB. This was my favorite hostel of the trip, hands down. Having arrived from the train early, I was able to book a tour to the Terracotta Warriors (9:30am; 260 RMB) that began half an hour after I checked into the hostel. Great timing, and a great site to see.

Next day, toured through the Muslim Quarter for quite a while, the Bell Tower and Drum Tower, and did some shopping (rainy day). Arranged a flight to Guilin through the hotel (680 yuan) for 7:40 am next morning.

Arrived in Guilin by plane (1.5 hours) and took a taxi into Guilin bus station (50 yuan) where a woman whisked me to Yangshuo (1 hour 20 minutes). Settled into Tony's Inn near Xi Jie (Foreigners Street) (90 yuan for private bed) and went for lunch.

Rented a bike (20 yuan for the afternoon) with a guide named Mo (50 yuan) and biked around the outer part of town. Went to the Moon Water Cave (mud cave and hot spring). Amazing. Continued the bike ride around, and then went for dinner at a little place near my hostel. Note that the booming music from West Street is very loud until around 1am or so every night.

Went on a bamboo rafting tour the following afternoon (75 yuan; 3 hours) on the Lujong River. Went shopping for a couple of jackets for the remainder of the afternoon, and had a nice dinner in town.

Next morning, switched over to Monkey Janes Hostel (80 yuan for private room with twin beds), which has a popular rooftop bar. Had nice breakfast with coffee at a local cafe. Went rock climbing this afternoon (160 yuan for 4 hours; booked through the front desk at hostel). This was very tough and something I don't plan on taking up anytime soon.

Following day, went for another bike ride with Mo ( 5 hours) including a one hour pit stop at Liugong village for kayaking (60 yuan from the restaurant for an hour).

Headed for Shenzhen by overnight sleeper bus (9 hours); very confusing where to go when you get dropped off in the middle of nowhere at 6:30 in the morning. However, another giy and I hooked up and took the fastest cab drive I think I've ever had to the border. Through customs, changed money, and found a room in Kowloon.

Took the ferry to Macau, and spent the remainder of the day here, touring the casino area, and more importantly, the Portuguese colonial area, which was packed with tourists, but very interesting nonetheless.

Packed up for mid-morning flight. Went to Kowloon Station, where you can check your bag with the airline in the city, and then make your way out to the airport.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.