Existing Member?

On The Road This is a work in progress of past adventures, after the trips have come and gone. I travel every 11 weeks for 18 days, and love to give back to the travel community with information that may help others have a great adventure of their own!

Costa Rica Part 2

CANADA | Sunday, 17 July 2011 | Views [265]

Decided to return to Costa Rica after a six-year hiatus. This time, I wanted to travel through the Osa Peninsula in the far south, and also the northern province of Guanacaste with its white-sand beaches.

Upon arrival in Liberia in the early evening (Vancouver-Houston-Liberia on Continental), I took a taxi from Liberia airport to downtown, $15 US. Stayed at La Posada del Tope for $20 in a small room with bathroom.

In the morning, went from Liberia to Jaco Beach by public bus: $6 US. secured a room at La Cometa on the main strip for $20. Didn't like the beach at all here, very brown and pebbly. It was off-season, but I would never return here. Ate at a nice restaurant on the main road in the evening.

Jaco Beach to Quepos/Manuel Antonio by public bus

Upon arrival, checked into Manuel Antonio National Park Backpackers: $25. This is fairly new in 2011, and has a nice swimming pool, and free movie on a big outdoor screen at night. Stayed 2 nights here; ate dinners at Casita Linda around the corner

Stayed in Casita Linda on the third night for $10 (bigger room).

Took pre-booked shuttle to Sierpe for $33; left at 7am; transferred to boat to Drake Bay ($15). Picked up by a quad motorbike to go to pre-booked Jumanji, which worked out to $185 total for 4 nights with food. Had my own cabin, as there was nobody else there at that time of year. Did a solo hike through the nearby river for the afternoon, swimming in the various watering holes.

Following morning (very early), went to Corcovado National Park on a tour for $65; saw a tapir and a couple of peccaries, and lots of monkeys.

Following day took the Cano Island snorkelling tour for $65 (same people on the tour).

On the last day, hiked around the area, and swim in the watering holes near the town, etc.

On the fifth day in the area, took an early shuttle bus back to Quepos ($33), and then transferred to a public bus to Herradura (near Jaco). $25: Cabinas Veracito. Could have stayed in Jaco and been picked up to go to the speedboat next morning, but didn't know this. Herradura is not a great place to stay.

Next morning, took pre-booked speedboat to Montezuma, where I stayed for 3 nights at Hotel Lucy ($10/night). Spent some time at the beach. Following day took a long walk and spent the day at the amazing waterfalls.

From Montezuma, took a $45 shuttle to Tamarindo Beach in northern Guanacaste (could be done by public bus for cheaper).

$15 Coral Reef Hostel: not a good choice; full of shady characters at night, would be better off at Tamarindo Backpackers which look nicer when I looked at the place later on.

Tamarindo Beacg to La Fortuna (near Lake Arenal) $30 shuttle bus (could be done for cheaper and many more hours of travel).

$30 hotel: Hotel Sierra Arenal for 3 nights with bathroom (hung out at Backpackers next door, which was more expensive for a private room with no bath).

Took 2 tours: a river rafting tour; and one to the volcano and waterfalls, with a natural hot springs in the evening; Also spent an entire day at Baldi Hot Springs, as it was gray and rainy (although warm). Very nice.

Returned to Liberia (4 hours by shuttle) for overnight hotel, onto airport in the late morning.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.