Existing Member?

The Traveler in Me

Carpe Diem

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Tuesday, 19 May 2015 | Views [69] | Scholarship Entry

"Davai!" he exclaimed, as I hopped in through the closing gates of a metro train carriage. Feeling jubilant, I scanned for a vacant seat but apparently all were taken by either subdued natives or confused tourists. I had a quick glance at the middle aged man who encouraged me to get in the train and his rugged leather jacket and bearded look was no disguise.
"He is definitely a musician", I thought to myself and noticed he was carrying a casing just when he took out his Saxophone from it.

So it happened. He started playing one of the greatest melodies I had ever heard. I had no idea what song it was or if it was even a song but it instigated my legs to tap themselves in rhythm with the music. I could not stop from expressing how much I loved it. Yet somehow all this had no effect on most of the mob.
For them it was quite usual. For them it was rather ordinary.

The performer however saw me enjoying and encouraged me to be more expressive and I am so glad that without wasting an instant I took my barely evident actions to highly noticeable levels. Not being a good enough dancer I mixed all the beguiling moves I knew or rather thought I knew and executed them on that invigorating symphony. To my surprise, the mob was not dreary anymore.
For them it was quite unusual. For them it was rather extra-ordinary.

No onlooker could stop smiling. They enjoyed our little performance and even made videos of it. That is when I explored this special part of me. The words-"I am a traveler!" echoed in my euphoric mind as my fellow performer was collecting his remunerations from his elated audience. I was in profundity when he came back to me, gave a pat on my back and asked me my name. Apart from that I could not comprehend a word he said, or asked maybe. By that time I had gathered some knowledge of the language but still struggled to communicate. I just smiled. I was just happy to have seized the day. To have gone outside my comfort zone and explore a part of me.

We both got down on the next stop. As we bid each other goodbye he tossed a five ruble coin to me with a smile and walked away. I had earned it. To me it had no monetary value. It was a souvenir. A souvenir I deserved for exploring the traveller in me. As I kept the treasure in my wallet the clock tower struck ten and though it was night it was definitely not dark. The sun was still disseminating its light. This remarkable phenomenon in fact baffled me once. However, that is an entirely different story.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About voyager1


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.