Existing Member?

Small Town, Big World

Weather Good or Bad

CANADA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [107] | Scholarship Entry

Coming from a small town my traveling is not as splendid as others' is. But once the road bug with its itch gets inside, it stays for long. Satiated only with any new discovery no matter size or scene.

My trip - a 2 hour drive south with my girlfriend to celebrate our second anniversary. With a planned day tour in mind; visit great monuments, taste new flavors and shop in the big city of our dreams.

To our dismay, snow had fallen overnight. When it was only a rainstorm alert before, now covered the morning in a thick white cloth. No time to think but to decide quick: stay and regret the effort or go against the events to enjoy a grand celebration?

Checked the car and items, and out we jumped in the asphalt road with the thrill for what lay ahead. Trying to support me Mary said 'If it's too bad let's come back other day' but my thoughts of not failing her were bolder.

Hour and a half after, going warily through the icy breeze, we made it to the city. At the entry its feel was pulsating from it: high traffic, people rushing, shiny buildings and stony bridges crossing the river. Every time one cannot help but absorb every small detail. Very distinct from the rural town we know.

First stop was High Ground Café. Stopped to have a hearty breakfast to start our tour. Mary had a banana latte with a parfait. For me one latte and a croissant to charge energies.

Next up Glenbow Museum.

It was our first time in an official, full size museum. A 6 story edifice where each floor has a level of exhibitions and themes. After a walk through it we had a dose of modern art, a national history lesson and vast wisdom of cultures around the globe. Many worlds unveiled to us just a few hours away from home.

Late noon near and time being a limit we moved to the next spot. Stephen Walk is a trendy pedestrian strip downtown, with luring shops along its sides. By now our bellies roaring after walking rounds, only window shopping about.

We decided on Teatro when looking for choices but finding pubs and fast food places only. A special date called for a worthy lunch. Our meal was plenty with an entrée sour bread, a house spaghetti plate, salad on the side and ice cream dessert to finish off.

We ate with our tastes and hearts happy, despite any sudden event like bad weather or the fast run around. Proving to the world the traveler's soul which is merry and fierce, when it comes to adding a new journey in the book of trips.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About vniciob


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.