Existing Member?

Become a backpacker is wonderful!

Singapore in my eyes

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [333] | Scholarship Entry

It has been one month since my first backpacking to Singapore. To me, it was an interesting trip and I never forget the day that I expected to come quickly. That was the day I went to the airport to take a flight to Singapore for holiday. The itinerary was carefully planned and airfare was booked four months in advance. Singapore is the first country that I decided to travel by backpack because it is a safe with strict regulations. It is not different from what I thought and saw on internet; at first sight, Singapore is a beautiful country with fresh air, clean streets, nice people and modern high-rise buildings.

With only four days in Singapore, I had great time discovering many popular and famous attractions such as Merlion Park, Esplanade Theater, Marina Bay, Garden by the bay, Sentosa, Chinatown, etc.

Singapore is a country with diverse culture, food, religions and nations. You can discover each culture at each separate area of the country. There is Buddha Tooth Relic Temple which is designed in Chinese architecture. I was very surprised when first arriving in Chinatown because it is different from what I thought. Chinatown must be an ancient town with old Chinese architecture; however, the buildings are tall, streets are wide and it is actually a miniature modern city of Singapore.

I think the Government is very good at management and construction. Many trees are built everywhere to reduce the air pollution, public transports such as MRT and bus are recommended to use by travellers and citizens. Singaporean live in apartments or condominium so there will be more areas for hospitals, schools and parks. On train, I saw a short clip said that the Government is planning to build the MRT and bus system throughout the country so that travelers are easier to go from one place to another place.

Food in Singapore is a mix of Malaysian, Indian, Chinese food. I enjoy eating chili crab, dim sum and noodle. Food courts can be found everywhere, inside malls or separate food centers.

Singaporeans are very nice, friendly and can speak English well. I remember when I was in Bugis street looking at map to go back to the hostel, a woman came and asked if she can help. I also remember a bus driver who instructed us the way to go to Kallang MRT after I went to Lorong to enjoy frog porridge.

These are good memories which I will not forget. From this first backpacking, I am sure I will travel myself to some countries besides Singapore whenever I have a chance to go.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About vnexpress


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.