Existing Member?

Cranberries and cubes

Mysterious Barcelonian Cube With Legs

SPAIN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [93] | Scholarship Entry

When I mention Barcelona in chat with my friends who wasn’t there, I discovered that it is often associated with Gaudi and its buildings. Sounds so grievous, doesn't it? Yes, I think so. I decided to get added evidence that Barcelona is much more than just “an inspiration and creation of Antonio Gaudi”.

The first experience of walking at the streets of the heart of Catalonia covered all my senses, which got used to perception of reality of dusty Moscow. Barcelona’s fresh air is impregnated with smells of rolls from next coffee houses and the salt warm sea. My ears got all the gamma of sounds from cars, passerby, street musicians, animals from Barcelona Zoo and radio in the cafés. And what tasty sandwiches make Catalonians with traditional Spanish jamon and cheese! When I just arived I thought that I would lose my marbles and forget who I am here. Barcelona really affects you like the Lethe river. Here you will see strange sculptures every corner, and Barcelonans really adore them. But one specific sculpture especially subdued me.

“Barcelona tourist program” wasn’t enough for me as for the person seeking for something outstanding. I began to hang around on the most distant back streets of the city. Looking through a map of Barcelona I recognized an odd cube with legs. I was really fascinated what it could be.

Finally, my throwing brought me to Parc de la Creueta del Coll in outskirts. I vainly tried to find this mysterious cube with legs. After two hours of searches it seemed to be impossible but it only inflamed my desire to find a strange cube. Almost despaired, I decided to sit down on a bench and to drink cold coffee, which I bought at nearest cafeteria. Then easy turn of the head towards the pool… And here it is. Cube with legs… is groundless over water! I really didn’t expected to see the installation suspended on cables, but not firmly standing on the earth as all the Russian monuments. And this large concrete cube with four curved legs, which were sticking out of its bottom, looked so strange here. After that discovery I found out that it was “Elogio del agua” (“Praise of water”) by Eduardo Chillida and this sculpture is one of the best works made by the Basque artist which, he said, brings us a little closer to the vastness of the cosmos.

Of course, I didn’t forget about main Barcelonian sights that should be under my belts. But this strange sculpture made of concrete is that haunts me to this day.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About vladislavawalks


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.