Existing Member?

the myth of the Amazon

Let yourself flow

BRAZIL | Saturday, 23 May 2015 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

It is not just one place, it is a whole bunch of them.They all have similar aspects, but each of them with a detail that makes them unique.
Navigating through the Amazon river from its origin to its end takes you on a trip of over two weeks, through three different countries, under a huge ever-brighter sun and over crystal, mysterious waters.Do not expect the river to maintain its color throughout the whole trip: it is not the Hudson, or the Seine or the Potomac.You are in the Amazon river and here you still do not know what the flanks hide behind that never-ending mass of trees taller than your eyesight and inexplicable as the origin of the universe.In fact, mystery will surround you from the beginning to the end.You will be on these boats full of hammocks and locals who treat the place as if they were walking down the streets of Philadelphia.They will notice nothing, but you will.You will wonder about everything that is happening around you and about the things that you cannot see: where are the crocodiles sleeping during the day?Who is waking up in the jungle during the night? What is hidden underneath those waters that have life and death written in every wave, in every meander... The towns where you will stop on your way from inception to eternity will seem like small safe havens in the middle of the unknown. They will bring you back to real life after being away from it, intoxicated with nature and freedom.In fact, this whole trip feels just as exciting as jumping from the top of a skyscraper or diving with sharks.The only difference is that here the pleasure is held for the whole three weeks of the trip, like a drug that is slowly being liberated into your bloodstream.You will feel as if you were eating ambrosia on the top of Mount Olympus,and you will not want to come back to mortal life.An amazing part of the trip is meeting the inhabitants that live the place, who have been exposed to the grandiosity and magic of the place and carry it with pride and simplicity.
The trip from Peru to the Atlantic Ocean has no possible comparison.It brings you back to the root of human nature,it keeps you away from mainstream tourism, it will mark your perspective of the world and it will leave endless horizons printed on your retina.You will understand how Apollo carried that huge ball of fire from the East to the West and you will see Zeus' thunders strike the land with rage.Sleep little and keep your eyes open: if not,you might miss a pink dolphin tagging along

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About viricoqueruda


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.