Existing Member?

Amazing Overland Jouney across Vietnam during spring festival

Vietnam in 28 hours

VIETNAM | Friday, 18 April 2014 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

Spring Festival in Vietnam is known as Tet Holiday. It is celebrated nationwide as everybody has a whole week vacation. Furthermore, that is the busiest time to travel across Vietnam. As I was not well-informed about that festival, I was continuing my journey to central Vietnam. The Temperature was about 10 C, which was the coldest temperature I ever experienced in the city, not highland area. I was traveling from hot and humid place in Laos and then my body somehow shocked due to the sudden change in temperature. However, the place covered with misty cold breeze was awestruck me. No sun coming to the city, everybody covered by tight jacket, but me were the scenery I was so glad to see since I was born and raised in tropical places with only 2 seasons. I had to commute further south to catch my flight back home. I did not want to take flight because the price was expensive, so I could only afford to purchase the land journey. As the train ticket was sold out, I decided to use bus. I was quite lucky to be onboard as I got the last ticket to go to Saigon. Again, I could not believe that I took sleeper bus. It was my very first time to see and to take public transportation with sleeper berth. I was open-mouthed to experience this. Another ridiculous ride was it would take me about 28 hours to Saigon. I had no option to cope with this. However, the bus ride was smooth, the air conditioner worked perfectly, as I was like the local physically, people asked me in Vietnamese and I just nodded my head to pretend as local. The journey stopped 3 times for taking meals. I chose the foods based on the appearance. Surprisingly, the foods were amazing. The combination of herbs and meats made the food in Vietnam amazing. The blue ocean and sky and the temperature starting arising since we moved south-bound looked amazing. The small forest we passed as the green lush in plain land of Vietnam together with smooth and tiny highway surprised me. The highway was very tiny for big bus like this and the bus had to compete with big trucks and other buses to pass the highway. The bus could not speed high when it reached the crowd. The bus was equipped with Vietnamese songs making the journey loveable, as I had no idea about the lyrics and the music played repeatedly, I understood the melody. A 28 hours journey was completed happily in Saigon as I saw the massive diversity of the country.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About vietnamlicious


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.