Existing Member?

"Hey You!"

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [151] | Scholarship Entry

When I crossed the border into Thailand the rays of the sun were already getting long, and I wondered how I would find a bus to Nakhon Si Thammarat, a city some 300km away, where I was to visit a friend. I turned to a woman walking down the street and, pointing down the road, asked “Nakhon Si Thammarat?” hoping to at least ascertain the direction of my travel. She looked at me uncertainly and walked away but another woman, who had overheard, came towards me. She was young – in her late 20s perhaps, although women in Southeast Asia always look young for their age, and very stylishly dressed. When I repeated “Nakhon Si Thammarat?” she pointed to the sun, and I realized it was too late in the day to catch a bus there. As I was considering what to do she took hold of my hand and started crossing the street. Not knowing what else to do, I followed. We walked for 15 minutes before entering a military complex. The guards were interested, but after inspecting my passport let me through. She led me into one of many small houses. I set down my travelers backpack, and relaxed. She pointed to the bathroom and handed me a towel, so I guessed I was invited to take a shower. The bathroom was typical of Southeast Asia - the toilet was a hole in the ground with ridges on the side to put your feet. After a refreshing shower we sat in the living room and she showed me a picture album. She grinned while pointing to a picture of her and a man, both in uniform. It was then that the mystery was solved, of why we were in a military complex, which I had been wondering about since we got there. That night we rode on her motorcycle through the streets of – I never did figure out the name of the city, I just know it was right after the border crossing. The night air and the spontaneity of it all was exhilarating – in an unknown city with a stranger going to a mysterious place. It turned out to be not so mysterious – dinner! She ordered for me as the menu was only in Thai. I don’t know what I ate, but it was delicious. We went back to the house, and I fell asleep, exhausted. In the morning she took me to the bus station, and later that day I met my friend in Nakhon Si Thammarat. The whole experience was amazing. We spent a day together, without being able to speak each others languages. I tried to tell her my name, but she must not have understood because the whole time she referred to me as “hey you!” I have no address or phone number to keep in touch, but I am sure I will never forget the beautiful Thai woman who without a second thought welcomed me into her home.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About viera


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.