Existing Member?

The long way home After 3 years in the UK we're off back home to NZ, but not before attempting to rid ourselves of the dreaded travel lurgy.

R&R

THAILAND | Sunday, 13 April 2008 | Views [896] | Comments [3]

Sharan watching sunset on Phu Quoc

Sharan watching sunset on Phu Quoc

The last time we wrote we were in the Mekong Delta and on our way to Vinh Chau, the village where my parents grew up. We got there after a long moto ride and, well there’s not much there. I suppose that’s what I expected but, there really is not a lot there.

There’s a market, a few shops and restaurants that get set up on the side of the road around 6ish hmmm a world away from life in NZ. If my parents never made that decision to leave 30 years ago I could so see myself living in a wooden shack, with 8 kids, growing rice and riding buffalo, and while that sounds fun for a day I’d take my current life thanks (mum and dad). One night in Vinh Chau was enough for my little slice of history and the next day we left for a small island off the south coast called Phu Quoc. Everyone has their own little paradise that they think of and go ‘ahhhh’, well that’s Phu Quoc for us. Developed just enough, empty white sand beaches, good food and just a good place to chill.

We had to tear ourselves away from Phu Quoc and our next stop was Singapore. It was strange being there. Everybody spoke English and it was soo clean- a real contrast to the last few months. We did the tourist thing, Jurong Bird Park, Sentosa and of course a lot of eating and shopping.

The day we landed in Singapore I discovered the Malaysian (F1) GP was on in nearby Kuala Lumpur and it was too good an opportunity to miss. We went through a bit of pain to get everything organized so last minute but 2 days later we were there, Sepang International Circuit in the K1 Gold grandstand (best spot for overtaking). Woohoo! I’ll spare you all the lap by lap commentary but will say it was pretty wicked finally seeing and hearing the cars up close.

The last couple of weeks have been spent on the Southern islands of Thailand. It finally felt that we were on holiday, relaxing on the beach and staying in semi-clean hotels. We’ve also been able to go on some awesome diving trips. Although I freaked when we saw fish bigger than me!

The islands are postcard perfect. Our favourite was Koh Phangan, we splurged a little and stayed right on the beach. Awesome view and crystal clear water.

We’re now in Bangkok and today we celebrated Thai New Year. Its crazy, water fights, talc powder and lots of food and music. The Thais can party!

So now more shopping to do and sadly trying to get to grips with the reality that the trip is almost over. Scary.

Comments

1

hey babes what a beautiful life you must know how lucky you have been dont worry this trip is almost over you can do it again and again. I want to follow u around the world maybe one day I will...Let me know when u gonna get hitched cos Im def coming! lots of love and luck xx Bev

  beverley goldman Apr 14, 2008 2:22 AM

2

well, back from Antigua and Barbuda .... was ill for 6 days with rip roaring temperatures ... wearing jumper and strides in 86 degrees and shaking with rigors!
What the Hell .... we went on to win the Antigua all comers karaoke contest with our rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody ... the americans gave us a standing ovation and everywhere we went people were saying .' Are you professional?' In the end I said in UK WE ARE CALLED TAKE THAT!! It was a larf! I am a true star!!!!(Big head)

Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Let me know when you do the dirty deed and get hitched ... You never know, I may come out to throw stuff at you on your wedding day.

Take care
Sharon x

  Sharon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 PM

3

Glad to know you guys are doing ok. I see you been to Malaysia. I wonder if it is as beautiful as I remembered. Well, just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and wish you all the best.

  Yaa May 10, 2008 2:41 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.