Existing Member?

Christmas lost and found in Budapest

Rockin' Box Music Store

HUNGARY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [275] | Scholarship Entry

You know how they say "You've got to try taking a bus tour once so you'll learn to never do it again"? Well, I had a chance to put this statement to a test when my then boyfriend gave me a bus tour to Europe as a Christmas gift. I already had a few postcards depicting marvelous winters of the Old World: all those festive markets and holiday decorations were floating in my mind like snowflakes in a blizzard. "Warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings..." - as you might have guessed I was pretty Julie Andrews about the whole thing.
The night we arrived to Budapest was foggy and made us shiver with cold. Surprisingly there was no snow, no strudels and my Christmas mood started to fade away. Local people hospitably treated us with traditional Hungarian Goulash and raised our expectations for the better. My fellow traveler and I spent the next day in the capital of Hungary shopping, drinking coffee and staring around. By the time the evening gently touched the roofs of the ancient city, both of us had been a bit tired of ordinary tourist attractions. I was sure that Budapest had much more to offer. So after a brief discussion we decided to get lost in its narrow streets. Our courage and curiosity were soon rewarded.
From the outside it looked like a storehouse or a very hipster cafe, it had all the charm and... no door knob. I could see light and people through the dim glass so I knocked at the door. Two minutes later an old man let us in. He was probably as antique as that place which turned out to be a music store called Rockin' Box. A few customers were slowly moving around stacks and shelves filled with vinyl and turntables of any kind and size. It seemed like time stopped and sat down to listen to the good old sounds of blues, rockabilly and doo-wop. And right there within those walls covered with memories and posters I found the spirit of Christmas. We didn't know the owner's language and he spoke no English either but we understood each other as he was showing us his musical treasures. Wasn't that the Christmas magic itself?
Of course we couldn't leave without a purchase so I got myself a vinyl Love Songs From South Of The Border by Tommy Garrett. Clasping it to my breast I was returning back to our hotel absolutely taken with the spirit of that little music store. And now the sounds of La Golondrina and Spanish Eyes bring me back to that enchanting music oldies place in Budapest where so unexpectedly I found Christmas.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About victoriabandurko


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.