Existing Member?

Europe by train

Before the arrival comes the anticipation

CROATIA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [184] | Scholarship Entry

It's 4:30 AM on the overnight train to Split, and a baby begins to cry. I lift my head groggily from where it had been resting uncomfortably on the window, and look to see where the noise is coming from. Fellow travellers are doing the same, awoken from their temporary slumber. The baby, who up until this point had been sleeping quietly in an open suitcase in the middle of the aisle, is completely unaware of the disturbance she has caused and carries on wailing at the top of her lungs regardless. Her mother, embarrassed and apologetic, tries furiously to soothe her, but the damage has been done. Our brief period of rest was over, and a whole new day had begun.

My fellow travellers, packed into the stuffy carriage, come in all shapes and sizes. Many of us are young and carefree backpackers from countries all around the globe. Some are a bit older and seem more local to the region, perhaps visiting relatives or simply enjoying a weekend escape. Others are older still; a nun who looks to be well over the age of 90 smiles at the baby, who is now relaxed and giggling away. In our carriage alone, different conversations are held in at least ten different languages by at least ten very different sets of people.

Although the awakening had seemed untimely, it couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I draw back my curtains to reveal a sun just beginning to show itself over the horizon, preparing for another lazy journey across a cloudless blue sky. The terrain stretches back for miles in all directions; vivid green plains dotted with the occasional farmhouse or lake. As the train hurtles on through this beautiful landscape I soon get my first glimpse of the Adriatic sea, shimmering invitingly even in the far distance.

Despite our divergent backgrounds, the sight of the Croatian landscape has a uniform effect on all of us. Conversations draw to a close as we simply take in the view. It doesn't matter where we came from or where we would return to in a few weeks, all we knew is that in a few hours time we'd arrive in Split. The individual attractions of the city may have been different for every one of us, but the sense of collective anticipation grew amongst us as we each envisaged ourselves taking part in new activities, trying out new cuisine, meeting new people. This is the unique appeal of interrailing, each new leg of the journey offers a completely new experience. Looking out of my window as Split grows ever closer, I can hardly wait.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About vegetarianmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.