Existing Member?

A home away from home

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [192] | Scholarship Entry



Comprising twenty eight states India is 7th largest country in the world. Landing at Delhi Indira Gandhi International airpot about an hour and half of flight from Kathmandu Tribhuwan International airport, then journey of trains from North to South India began.

Way to travel in India is train for sure. It's a vast network joining Indian small villages to big cities.

Jodhpur, Rajasthan : coming from hilly county I was looking forward to visiting this land of Raja and Maharajas and of sand.
Moti-Mahal, Phool Mahal, Jaswant Thada and the Museum is must visit. Still in love with the Zardozi Robe form museum (sigh!)

Pune, Maharastra : city of colleges brought back the nostalgic feeling of being at home. Beautiful Koregaun Park , Osho Asram to crazy maze of streets in Laxmi road Pune is pleasant place to be.

Bangalore, Karnataka: this city of garden over the time has earned a name as a Silicon valley. Besides hanging out and shopping in MG road, Lal Bagh glass house in the botanical garden and the Bagmane tech park is something to see in Bangalore.
From here on I was in heaven of Coffee, Idili-Samber and Coconuts

Ooty, Tamil Nadu: never ending scenic beauty and botanical gardens.
For me Ooty is aroma of Nilgiri, Banana chips, Coffee in road side, Dosa on banana leaf and kind people.

The way CHIYA become CHAI to CAHA to CHAIYAA as the station changes I realized that Nepal and India is so much culturally and culinarily entwined.

Be it Delhi's famous Panjabi dishes Sarson da sag , Makke ki roti and Lassi OR Rajasthani treat of Dal- Batti- Churama flaky round breads baked over cow dung cakes dripping with ghee OR Pune's Pav Bhaji, Wada Pav, Kacchi Dabheli , Bhakri with Pithla, Puran Poli with Milk shake containing dried fruit OR Idili samber of South India, the etiquette in cooking and mothers dishing out second helping with satisfaction it was like being home away from home.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

 

About vegabond


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.