Existing Member?

Bitten by the travel bug

A trip back in time

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [132] | Scholarship Entry

KALARIPAYATTU

The arena was shrouded in darkness, lit only by the flickering light of an array of ghee lamps. We waited in silence. Eventually the Kalaripayattu warriors entered and bowed in front of the deity, their weapons, each other and lastly touched the ground. This symbolized their reverence to the Almighty (Devta), the weapons (shastra), the Mother God and to the strength and ability of the opponent.
Kalaripayattu is one of the oldest forms of martial arts, practiced in the southern states of India, especially Kerala and parts of Tamil Nadu.
What began next was a breathtaking display of agility, grace, aim and precision. Sparks flew as the swords and shields clashed against each other in a stunning display of what looked like an incredibly dangerous yet beautifully choreographed dance form. The sputtering wicks and the ambiance made it all seem surreal, transporting us back in time to a world far removed from the onslaught of industrialization and modernization. The hypnotizing clang of metal against metal and the sights completely riveted our attention. The swords were but a silver streak in the air. The warriors soared and jumped with the raw power and flexibility of the mighty tiger leaping on its helpless prey. Their nut-brown, well oiled rippling muscles glistening in the sepia tones of the ghee lamps.
Much like the dance of the Nataraja (the King of Dance), Lord Shiva, the duel started with a measured pace but slowly gained tempo. They whirled and twirled and evaded each other faster and faster, becoming destructively fast and we knew that the end was nearing. We watched with bated breaths as one flicked the sword out of the other’s hand in one fluid motion. The weapon bereft warrior still refused to admit defeat, resorting to using his hands and feet. The other warrior paced around him, waiting for his chance, like a hungry lion circling its meal before going for the kill. With a sudden leap, the first warrior pinned the other down and touched his sword to the neck of the other marking his victory.
The overwhelming show of heroism, art and beauty had spun its spidery web of enchantment, keeping us rooted to our spots. The distant ring of a mobile phone broke our trance.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About varadamenon


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.