Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic NSW - KIRSTY AND CARLY Kirsty and Carly embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around New South Wales with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

COFFS HARBOUR!

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 10 October 2009 | Views [2889]

Whitewater Rafting, Swimming with Dolphins & a Night of Luxury!

Coffs Harbour

After a brilliant few days at Global Carnival, we headed to Coffs Harbour, where we spent our first couple of nights at the Coffs Harbour YHA.  The International Buskers & Comedy Festival happened to be on while we were there, and we saw a few different acts, performing both in the mall and at the local pub.

Whitewater Rafting

Our first Coffs Harbour adventure was whitewater rafting with Liquid Assets Adventure Tours.  We met at the early hour of 7am and set off for a drive into the mountains with the rest of our group.  The drive seemed a lot shorter than its 2 hours, either because we were asleep for half of it or because our guides, Rocky and Steve, spent the whole time telling us the history of the area and pointing our different sights.  We saw old cedar trees, a flame tree, and even a lyrebird (just so you know, Rocky, I checked, and we don’t have them in SA)!

The rafting itself was heaps of fun.  It took us a little while to sort out our tandem paddling and avoid getting stuck on rocks, but the arguments we (and everyone around us) had were hilarious.  The water level in the river was fairly low, but there were still some really fun rapids, which we navigated successfully, for the most part.  We also managed to also have a magnificent fall, where we both ended up in the water with our raft upside down.  The calmer areas of the river had such amazing scenery that we kept looking around thinking we were in the middle of a movie.

The weather was gorgeous the whole way down the river – it was so warm that we even spotted a brown snake and a couple of red bellied black snakes sunning themselves on the rocks.  Then right as we got out of the rafts at the end of the afternoon, the clouds came over and a hailstorm began!  I’ve never seen so much hail in my life.  The stones were the size of marbles and they fell everywhere, even smashing our sausages to pieces on the barbeque!  The whole ground was covered in white, and the river started steaming up.  It was a great end to a fantastic day.

Swimming with Dolphins

Our other amazing experience in Coffs Harbour was at the Pet Porpoise Pool, where we got to go swimming with dolphins!  We started the day by getting our photos taken getting kisses from seals and dolphins, which everyone who visits the park gets to do.  We then saw the fantastic dolphin and seal show.  Neither of us could believe how smart the dolphins and seals were.  Some of the things they did were amazing, including flips, singing, dancing and balancing balls on their noses.

After lunch we got to go swimming with two of the dolphins: Calamity – the mother, who is also pregnant, and Bella – her daughter.  Calamity and Bella were both amazing to spend time with.  Their trainer, Adam, taught us so many different facts, and we got to rub their stomachs, tickle their tongues and play with them.  Bella caught every basketball we threw to her, as well as spinning one on the end of her rostrum (nose).  We were both very impressed!  Make sure you watch our Coffs Harbour video to see how clever these dolphins are!

Pet Porpoise Pool is a great place to spend the day.  Everything they do is interactive, and there are so many opportunities to see, touch or feed all of their animals, including dolphins, seals, penguins, turtles, fish and reptiles.

Living it up in Luxury

On our last night in Coffs Harbour, we were invited for a luxury stay at the Novotel Pacific Bay Resort.  Not only did they put us up for a night, they gave us separate spa suites, which each had a kitchen, dining room, laundry, king size bedroom and ensuite bathroom with a spa!  The grounds were amazing – it really lives up to the “resort” part of its name with a golf course, three swimming pools, gym, tennis courts and beach access.  We even had a full buffet breakfast in the morning – yum!

In our next blog, we’ll be checking out all that Port Macquarie has to offer.  In the meantime, make sure you check out our latest videos here (including the clever dolphins!): http://vantastic.worldnomads.com/index.php/about-vantastic-adventures/stage-1-active-nsw

http://vantastic.worldnomads.com

http://www.twitter.com/vantasticnsw

 

 

Tags: coffs harbour, dolphins, liquid assets, novotel pacific bay resort, pet porpoise pool, roadtrip australia, van-tastic, van-tastic adventures, vantastic nsw, whitewater rafting

About vantasticnsw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.