Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic NSW - KIRSTY AND CARLY Kirsty and Carly embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around New South Wales with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

YAMBA!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 October 2009 | Views [4340] | Comments [1]

Surfing, Cliff Jumping and Hand-feeding Piranhas! 

Yamba

We’d heard some rumours along the road that Yamba was the place to be, so after we left Byron, we headed down the coast and booked in at the Yamba YHA

Both the town and the backpackers would have to be the best kept secret in all of Australia.  The first guy we met, Jono, turned up six months ago to stay for two nights, and only left the night we arrived because his visa had run out and he had to leave the country. It’s been the same story for everyone we’ve spoken to – literally every single person has extended their stay here beyond what they’d planned, including us!

So, what’s so good about Yamba?  Apart from the town itself (surrounded by oceans and the river so it’s almost like its own little island), you have to check out the following things…

Yamba YHA

This hostel is amazing – it’s only been open a year but it’s the friendliest hostel I’ve ever been to in my travels.  As soon as you check in, one of the owners will yell out an introduce you to everyone around, so you feel like you’re part of their big family from the very first night.  It feels like we’ve known these people for weeks rather than a couple of days.

Surfing

After meeting everyone at the hostel during happy hour on our first night, we got up and went surfing in the morning.  The hostel provides boards, a ride to the beach, and great advice on surfing your first wave.  Neither of us are quite coordinated enough to stand just yet, but we can catch waves and kneel on the board, and are still trying!

Shane’s $10 Tour

The highlight of Yamba would have to be Shane’s $10 Tour, which takes you to all the best spots in town from a local’s perspective.  Book in for this one as soon as you get to the YHA.  You see amazing beaches and all the best views, but the fun doesn’t end there!

You also get to go cliff jumping into natural waterholes!  There are a few different heights you can jump from, ranging from the baby jump (around 5m) up to the “medium” jump, which involves a climb up a natural rockface before launching yourself off of a 15m cliff.  There are also higher points to take off from further up the cliff, but they’re too dangerous for the tour, so you have to head back later and try them yourself!

At the end of the tour, you stop off near the river, where you get to feed the pelicans by hand, as well as the local piranhas!  The piranha feeding frenzy is definitely a sight to see!

Yamba is a great place to hang out due to the friendly people, beautiful location, laid-back vibe, great surf… we could go on!  Do yourselves a favour and come by if you’re in the area.

Sadly, despite extending our stay, we now have to leave.  We’ve bought ourselves tickets to Global Carnival, a music festival in Bellingen, so we’ll be camping there (and out of touch) for the next few days.  After that, we’ll resurface in Coffs Harbour and let you know what we’ve been up to!

In the meantime, make sure you check out our latest videos here.

http://vantastic.worldnomads.com

http://www.twitter.com/vantasticnsw

Tags: australia, cliff jumping, nsw, piranhas, road trip, surfing, van-tastic adventures, vantastic, yamba, yamba yha

Comments

1

Wow!! I've just read your post and it brought back a lot of good memories!!
I remember like it was yesterday, the day i left Brazil and went to Australia!! Best trip ever!!PERIOD!!!

  Guilherme Kalil Jun 1, 2014 11:34 AM

About vantasticnsw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.