Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Tasmania - Dara & Catherine Americans Dara and Catherine embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around Tasmania with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 7 January 2010 | Views [2343]

In most places around the world summer is a time for festivals and Tasmania is no exception.

For one week at the end of December and beginning of January every year all of the best food, wine and beer of Tasmania meet in Hobart for The Taste of Tasmania. Entrance to this dock-side event is free and visitors can enjoy entertainment in four locations including live music, circus and comedy acts and cooking demonstrations. Dara and I set time aside on the first day of the festival to visit as many of the food and drink booths we could afford and fit in our belly. 

We had such a great time that we ended up going back several times during our time in Hobart. The Taste becomes the main social scene of Hobart while it is around and we ran in to people we had met through friends, tours and activities, and at The Falls Festival. This is the thing we love most about Hobart, it is so easy to make friends and once you have a friend you are sure to run in to them and enjoy their company again. At The Taste everyone is quick to share samples with each other and give recommendations of their favorite stalls to visit.

The bustling docks of Hobart are also home the finale of The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, a race that compares in attention to America's Cup but occurs every single year starting on Boxing Day in Sydney and ending in Hobart. Dara and I were lucky enough to have a tour of the YuuZoo Yacht hosted by the skipper himself, Ludde Ingvall. YuuZoo is a 90-feet super maxi yacht that came in eight place after falling behind due to some bad luck with weather. The yacht has a physical crew of half a dozen but they are enlisting in social media channels to reach a goal of half a million followers at www.YuuZoo.comRon Creevey, technical chief of the YuuZoo vessel says, “Only a select few in the sport of sailing actually ever get to experience what it is like to sail in Australia’s most famous sailing regatta and we want to share that experience with as many people as possible.” I think we all can appreciate the desire to share your passions with others.

You can't miss Salamanca Market every Saturday between 8:30am and 3pm especially when the perfect summer weather is around. Dara and I scanned the street for fun handmade jewelry, photographers' personal postcards, and of course the homegrown/homecooked food, yummm.



Tags: adventure, australia, entertainment, festival, holiday, party, road trip, tasmania, van-tastic, yachting

About vantastic_tas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.