Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Tasmania - Dara & Catherine Americans Dara and Catherine embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around Tasmania with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

Why Not Let the Next Country You Travel Be You?

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [320] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up in silence? I’m an extrovert. I’ve been blessed with the gift of gab. But, is it a blessing or have we been misled to believe endless chatter makes us more noticeable?

Sometimes I fall off track. Life, lists, tasks, thinking of the future and dwelling about the past distract me. It wasn’t until I fell so deep that I decided to travel inward.

I wanted to build an eco-lodge or save orangutans. I researched online and found a volunteer opportunity at an ashram near Byron Bay. I submitted a request, received approval and booked my flight.

A shoeless, shaggy-haired boy picked me up from the airport. He had called the ashram home for more than a year; I could hardly rap my head around three weeks. As we arrived, a dirt driveway lined with banana trees came into view.

An elderly man in a lilac robe greeted us. His hair and beard were white, long and cliché. He ushered me over to a spritely, young Irish girl who showed me to my room. Evening meditation was at 4pm.

Cross-legged, eyes closed, I sat in silence. My legs were numb and my bottom was sore. What was I doing? How was I meant to be doing it?

The next morning I befriended another American girl and shyly asked her, “What am I meant to be doing?" She giggled and explained to observe my thoughts. Still I knew nothing.

Without warning, the next 48 hours were filled with silence. Vipassina is traditionally a 10-day silent meditation retreat. We were silent from Friday to Sunday. No reading, writing, music, eye contact and absolutely no talking.

Cross-legged, eyes closed, I sat in silence. Hours went by. My legs were numb and my bottom was sore.
We finished the evening in front of the fire where thousands of glowing embers floated effortlessly into the still night sky. A chill raced down my spine; I curled tighter inside of myself. Mesmerised and exhausted, I stared into the flames and cried.

Why was I here? My body purged. I slept little. I was constantly confronted mentally and physically. After a week I had had enough.

I caused a scene and demanded my money back. The older man with the lilac robe and cliché beard called out to me. He sat me down, face-to-face.

He spoke about my journey and why he believed I was there. He looked straight into my teary eyes and said, “You have traveled so many countries, why not let the next country be yourself?”

I stayed. I will be forever grateful I didn't run. I continue to practice, and I know exactly how I ended up here.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About vantastic_tas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.