Existing Member?

Wonderful Indonesia

Ubud Royal Cremation Ceremony

INDONESIA | Monday, 28 April 2014 | Views [133] | Scholarship Entry

On November 1st 2013, I was asked to join a photo trip to Bali, Indonesia. A cremation will be held on that day but this was not a usual cremation. The cremation was for a member of Ubud Royal Family. Bali's cremation is known has a great parade and ceremony. And it's true. The parade begun in the morning at Ubud center. The parade contains many paper crafts of evil Gods on Buddhist. The paper crafts were made by Ubud's artists. There were about 30 paper crafts weighted 10 kg or more each. There was a highest paper craft call 'bade' , the formation of stairs and symbolize of stairs to heaven. All of the paper crafts were brought by locals and royal guards to the cremation location. Before they brought the paper crafts , a buddhist priest called 'pedande' was blessed them by holy water to give them strength bringing all of the paper crafts. The journey bringing the paper crafts lasted for 5 hours until they arrived at the cremation location. At the location of cremation, a ceremony was held to prepared the cremation . An unexpected sight was going on. The dead body inside one of paper craft that being burned suddenly dropped and fell to the ground from it position. Everyone there screamed and all of sudden it became chaos. To fix the situation, the royal guards cleared the area of cremation and put the dead body into it place to be burned until turned into ashes. After burning the dead body , there was a closing ceremonial and everyone was blessed by holy water before going home.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About valeriavanessa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.