Existing Member?

My journey

Lucky break

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [293] | Scholarship Entry

I usually "Enter to win" in Facebook, not very hopefully most of the times, but, well, you never know. And as long as I don't have to ask all my friends to vote for me, or my picture, or my comment, it's easy and it bothers nobody. Mugs, shoes, dinners, concerts tickets, all have eluded me. But due to some strange cosmic design, that time, that one time, Luck (yeah, in capital letters) decided my time to win had come. It was last December. A hot, extremely hot December here in the south of the world, with its corresponding power cutoffs, because, let's face it, nobody could anticipate it will be hot during the summer. I arrived in Buenos Aires in the late morning. Not the wisest thing to do, I admit. My idea was to walk to my destination, only about 12 blocks from the bus station, which would allow me to enjoy a little more a city I love visiting. But it was December, and the streets were on fire. I did walk a couple of blocks, but I was starting to feel, and look, like I was lost in the desert, and that is not a good look for me. I took a taxi. The driver was moody, of course. Many streets were blocked because they were trying to fix the power failures, and taxi drivers don't seem to like streets blocked for some reason. He still took me to my destination, and for that, I will be eternally grateful. And my destination was the prize I won: an incredibly beautiful boutique hotel, where I was supposed to spend the night, thanks to the kindness of Lonely Planet Magazine, and Luck's design, which was, indeed, an oasis.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About valerialozito


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.