Existing Member?

Live and Become "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Thailand Overview So Far

THAILAND | Friday, 11 July 2008 | Views [600]

Phuket: Patpong Road = hookers, pretty ladyboys (you would not think so many were men), clubs, bars

Street vendors everywhere. The latest craze seems to be selling sweet corn. Banana pancakes still popular.

Koh Samui: beautiful beaches despite occasional rain during the day. Fireworks set off on the beach at night.

Bangkok: Stayed here for about a week. Lived on a lane called Soi Rambuttri, around the corner from Khao San Road - the backpackers destination. Khao San Rd is closed off to most traffic during the night so bars can set seats up on the road while people drink buckets, shop and walk down the busy street. At the end is a 24 hr Burger King, can't deny I was there for a meal.

Soi Rambuttri has a great bohemian vibe to it, kind of Freo feeling. A line of street vendors sell by far the most delicious and cheap food I've had in Bangkok, with average prices at 25 baht (that is about 90 cents AUD). Mr Yim's vegetarian stall looks popular as he has little logos of his smiling face.

There's a great bookshop selling second hand books that is the Shaman bookstore.  

Took a bus from Bangkok to Chiang Mai overnight.

Chiang Mai is very relaxed compared to Bangkok of course. Lots of walking being done here. The night markets that are set up in central Chiang Mai open everynight from 6pm until around 12am and stalls cover the place (there are hundreds) selling the usual - jewelerry, dvds, clothes, shoes..

I've unintentionally travelled into the future.

Thailand is 543 years ahead. The year here is 2551.

Tags: on the road, overview, thailand

 

About valentina


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.