Existing Member?

No Nationality/ No Limits

The Culture of Forgotten

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 23 April 2014 | Views [127] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up here? Where to start? I was 16 when I got into university to study Law in Bogota (Colombia), but I hated it! So I saved up money and waited until I was 18 to move to London (UK) and do Drama, Theatre & Performance Studies. I am not rich and learning the language, to get into university, with a scholarship was harder than I thought. But that is not the story I want to tell you.
Almost three years later, I was back in my country for holidays. When I landed, the air seemed heaver, the grass greener and the sun was so powerful and hot that I could almost feel how it was getting under my skin. Then I thought to myself: “I’m back”. My mum planned a trip, just her my two brothers and I. To a reservoir, which is used to provided drinking water and fish farming, but to the locals is more like a national park, it is called “Represa de Prado”. This place is like a huge natural pool with small islands in the middle and surrounded by mountains. It is also a very dangerous place due to the guerrillas that terrifies our country.
The only way to get there is by car, through a wet dark tunnel, once we got trough the tunnel we took a boat, big enough for my family and the guy who was driving it. The guy took us into hidden corners, which were far from the entrance, it was like a paradise; there were waterfalls, ‘houses’ made of trees, locals feeding the fish, young children laughing swimming naked. I played with the children and after I bet with my brothers, I jumped off one of the waterfalls, my mum almost cried but I was perfectly fine. We stood in there until sunset, then we were taken to a hotel in one of the islands, we ate dinner watching the sun disappear in the distance and the water witnessed the moon come out. The sky was so clear that I couldn’t believe I was able to see the starts again. We had a bonfire, traditional music playing (Salsa, Ballenato, Bachata etc.) and national beer.
It was great to feel the natural air in my face, see the people, listen to the traditional music and the culture; all together felt so unique that it was like I never went away. Before I had the opportunity to remember more, I was back in London, looking out the window, raining.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About vagabundo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.