Existing Member?

Eclectic memoirs of an eclectic mind

Breaking Stereotypes

PAKISTAN | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [154] | Scholarship Entry

Me? Travel to Germany? On an all paid internship? Whilst wearing a hijab and being a practising Muslim (the fact that I left religion later on is a story for another day)? Would it be possible in ANY way? Turns out not only was it possible, but I had a blast (not the jihadi kind, mind you..).
My first impression of Germany as soon as I landed, summarised in one word, was "efficiency". Everyone knew their work and they did it efficiently. From the janitors at the airport to the woman at the information kiosk, and the lady who'd been sent by the organisation that had arranged my internship, everyone knew what they were doing and the best way to go about doing it. In Pakistan, a woman attired "differently" is cause for a LOT of stares, hell a woman attired ANY way is basically ogled, so it was a very pleasant surprise for me, a woman wearing a hijab and dressed in a long flowing outer-garment (definitely NOT German looking in any way), that nobody really gave me a second glance. "Oh my God!"I thought, "I am an actual PERSON in their eyes and not a specimen to be scrutinised." That realisation hit me hard, and I have to say it was an excellent feeling.
Being a hijabi did not really stop me from being the rebel that I am at heart. I decided to give my new found "person-hood" a try and go to all kinds of places that I won't normally have a chance to go to in Pakistan. I visited a few bars, never mind that I don't drink, I wanted the experience of just being in one. I have to say, the stereotypical "no-fun-and-games-Germans" were nowhere to be found. I discovered a whole new side of Germany. No, it isn't bland, people there love to have fun and hang loose. I loved how despite being dressed the way I was, I was never made to feel unwelcome. I even went to this really cool tattoo parlour, just to check out what they had in store. Even there, the patrons as well as the shop assistants and artists, whilst looking slightly bemused, went out of their way to show me what they had to offer. A prostitute I met at a local cafe (prostitution is legal in Germany, btw), was not only very nice to me, but gave me her card, in case I ever wanted to visit her place. Hell, even the people working at the Holocaust memorial went out of their way to talk to me and show me around. I was touched by the warmth and the ever-present feeling of being welcome despite CLEARLY looking like an outsider.
In short, while I broke stereotypes myself, the Germans did that, too, and I LOVED it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About urooj


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.