Existing Member?

Panamania Coffee, chocolate, flowers ... and a nice tan

Minimalizing Pretty

USA | Tuesday, 3 January 2012 | Views [546]

The perfect travel purse

The perfect travel purse

I’m trying to get most of this packing business out of the way at the beginning of the week. I’ve pared down considerably. (See above: The Cute Tiny Purse, capable of holding only identification, debit/ATM cards and a pair of sunglasses.)

The first time I went to Europe, I packed two dresses, two tops and a pair of jeans. One of my style-conscious classmates brought along a ginormous steamer trunk. Big enough to stow a couple of bodies. No kidding. That thing made it up more flights of hotel stairs than a Justin Bieber groupie. I was a little envious at the time, because said classmate — she had exquisite taste, by the way — wore a different outfit every day of our three-month journey. On the other hand, she would have been SOL had there been no bellhops to tip.  

I am not your gal traveler insofar that I’m not fond of toting around a serious amount of “stuff” when I go on vacation. The thought of stowing things in the upper bin makes me cross on domestic flights because I know I’ll be vying for a limited amount of space that’s eaten up by folding strollers and diaper bags.

No, I’m a one-suitcase kinda gal. Preferably the size of a gym bag. For a couple of reasons:

A whole lotta luggage irritates reasonably sane traveling partners of the male persuasion, who tend to be austere minimalists.

  and —

Back strain is a terrible thing.

Panama leaves me slightly flummoxed because I’m going to be dealing with at least two distinct climates. One, around Boquette where the coffee plantations grow (sweet!), is cool, mountainous and damp, necessitating long sleeves, pants, closed-toed shoes and perhaps raingear. The others are sunny and warm — so I’ll also need to bring along dresses, shorts and beachwear. I filled half of a large suitcase before I got twitchy and tossed most of it back out again. Still. Way. Too. Much. Stuff.  

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know …

First world girl problems.

Tags: packing, panama, too much stuff

 

About unwittingraconteur

Profile Photo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.