Existing Member?

The world is not that big after all

Today was Africa

NORWAY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [145] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that I realized I can see the whole world in one place. I never thought this can be true until I saw aurora borealis while I was having a cup of tea with a Paraguayan girl, until I danced salsa with a Chinese, I ate Dal and Naan with a Nepali friend, until my lips touched happiness on the lips of an Estonian girl. It was a journey of self-discovery with the world. The feeling I had when I walked my first steps to class with a Zambian, or when the defense line on the football field were a Norwegian, a Honduran, a Cameroonian and a Jordanian, was just indescribable. Every moment in that place has a story to be told, and it will take a lifetime to tell them. But I guess I owe this to the world; I feel I am obliged to share some of these stories; to give humans of the world a glimpse of a united world.
I lived in a place called Flekke, and Flekke lived in me. But this story is a bit different. It is about a day I will never forget. Flekke wasn't Flekke that day, Flekke woke up on the spout of the first golden sunbeam coming to us mixed with the echoes of an African melodious raucous sound, coming out from the mound of a row area or from the top of a coconut tree, at the same time, with the song of the jungles and the risings “Hakuna Matata”. Flekke went on a trip up in the mountains of Tanzania, down to the lake of Victoria in Kenya and Victoria falls in Zambia. It visited the Neil river in Egypt, the Pyramids and the Sphinx. It danced with lions in Swaziland and played with crocodiles in Jamaica. It sailed to the largest island of Africa; Madagascar, came back humming the beat of "I Like To Move It" song. It wandered the rain forests of Congo, walked the hot deserts of North Africa and stopped to have a Western Saharan tea. It traveled from Morocco, Libya and Sudan in the north to Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Sierra Leone in the west. It explored the wonderful countries of Eastern Africa; Rwanda, Somalia, Uganda, Malawi, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Zimbabwe. And not to forget the amazing dances it saw in Angola all the way down to Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and South Africa. It ate all kinds of food and saw all different national dresses. It learned about the too many, more than 2100, languages spoken in Africa, and was wowed by the clicking spoken poetry. Finally it witnessed the nicest wedding fest it has ever attended. It was a day of joy, happiness and love. It was a day for Africa. This is how I lived in the world, and it lived in me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About unitedworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.