Existing Member?

A roadside meal for two.

A night under the African stars.

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

Soweto in South Africa is a growing tourist attraction and home of Nelson Mandela, Walter Sisulu and many other renowned South African freedom fighters. Its's filled with a rich history and many cultural pleasures. One day I found myself there with a group of friends because we had heard they had amazing food, all traditional favorites such as: Bunny Chow, Pap and Wors (Maize and sausage) and chicken feet. As we were sitting there on a Sunday afternoon a group of traditional African dancers came and started playing drums and dancing for us they were extremely friendly and encouraged us to join in which of course we did, I sat down to catch my breath and to observe when I saw an old man walk past on his way home I assume. When he heard the music he stopped in his tracks, With a big smile on his face he watched them as I watched him. When the song finished he carried on his way as if he had never stopped at all. We met some fellow tourists who told us there was a concert going on that night which I later found out was one of my favorite bands Little Dragon from Gothenburg Sweden.
The concert was held at the Orlando Towers which is know for Bun-jee jumping but between the beautifully painted towers is a little bar called Chaf-Pozi. The people were incredible, They were all open and friendly and more than eager to talk to us. That is why I love South Africa so much it has a little bit of everything, they have 11 official languages + sign language which therefore creates 11 different cultural groups and South Africans are learning to be more open to learning about. Watching as people from completely different backgrounds come together is beautiful and refreshing because that night it didn't matter. We all came together to appreciate the music and the surroundings and most of all each other. When Little Dragon came on stage the crowd was buzzing everyone sang along to every word and the band kept the energy levels high. I can honestly say it was the best night of my life, I met some amazing people and made memories that will stay with me and I can tell my grand children about. It was just such a wonderful setting and of course I got to see my favorite band play live. If you love history and culture and just want to have a good time Soweto is definitely for you.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About unemari


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.