Existing Member?

Dalmatian Coast

Dubrovnik

CROATIA | Monday, 11 May 2015 | Views [123] | Scholarship Entry

Fans of the television show "Game of Thrones" will recognize Dubrovnik, Croatia as the backdrop for Kings Landing, with its limestone walls and tiled roofs. It was with those images in mind that my fiancé (now wife) Amber and I decided that it would be the perfect engagement destination. We knew very little of Croatia, but the moment that we arrived, surrounded by the gorgeous hills and rocky shoreline of the Dalmatian Coast, we knew it was the right decision. Dubrovnik is a centuries old walled stronghold that has served as an important cultural center on the Adriatic Sea since the Roman Empire. At night, the city sparkles and the massive church spires shine in the darkness while the smooth stone streets bustle with activity. It is a maze of narrow alleys and stairways that give home to an array of cafes and bistros, with patrons eating and drinking on sidewalk tables. Since my intentions were to propose to Amber while in Dubrovnik, I needed the perfect setting. After consulting with locals and doing my diligent research, I decided on the restaurant Nautika as the perfect spot. Nautika is situated just outside the western gate of the city on a cliff overlooking the sea. It is housed in the historic Dubrovnik School of Maritime Studies building and boasts the best Croatian cuisine (a mixture of Mediterranean and Italian) in the country. While Nautika may be a hidden gem among tourists, the restaurant has served all manner of celebrities and dignitaries ranging from royal families to the Pope to Bono. We were seated on the outdoor patio and treated to an exquisite view of Dubrovnik and the Adriatic, with the refreshing autumn air coming in off the sea to cool us. To add to the romantic atmosphere, we sat near a wedding party who serenaded us with traditional Croatian guitar music and laughter as we dined. It was the perfect addition to a perfect evening. As our second bottle of local red wine arrived, I knelt down on one knee and offered Amber her engagement ring as a symbol of my eternal love. I’ll never forget the way she lovingly looked down at me as she accepted my proposal, as I anxiously looked back at her. After obligatory hugs and kisses we sat silently, the ancient city walls to our left and the sea to our right, trying our best to hold onto that perfect moment. We watched the lights from the small fishing boats dance across the water and realized that we were experiencing something that most Americans would sadly never know.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About txmatt


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.