Existing Member?

Moroccan Secret

Moroccan Style Wedding

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever wondered why some people never feel the need to discover new things and others, like you and me, are already thinking about the next adventure while still on a trip?
The answer is on the brain, it is real, physical, measurable and, obviously, even its name reminds a plane name: DRD4-7R. It is a gene, considered the “Wanderlust gene”, and only possessed by the 20% of the population.
According to some specialists, those who carry this genetic information share the same hunger to explore, travel, discover new cultures and meet new people.

So this gene on my DNA compelled me to go and talk to this beautiful girl living in my student’s residence with exotic features. After some years, she has become one of my best friends, and has made me relish the most extraordinary experience I could ever imagine. She is from Morocco, and she has brought me to discover her fascinating country. Morocco has a special charm that forces you to repeat your visit again and again until it becomes a periodical need.

But what really fulfilled my desires to encounter something genuine during one of my trips to this country was the event I had the opportunity to attend. My friend got married this year, and I have to confess it has been the most remarkable event I have ever witnessed. If you have the chance to be part of a Moroccan wedding, you can appreciate the richness of their traditions through music, art, clothing or cuisine.

The day of the wedding, all guests were gathered at the venue were the wedding was going to take place. This turned out to be the most astonishing palace I have ever seen. Since I stepped inside, I could not stop looking around amazed by the artistry the place emanated. The walls, the ceiling, the floor… everything was hand-carved.

The ceremony began with some music from a live traditional band. The couple appeared and the bride, delightfully dressed with gleaming jewelry, sat in a large chair called "the Amariya”, carried by some men around the room. The bride changed outfits throughout the ceremony, offering a selection of superb caftans.

During all the ritual, different Moroccan dishes were served, including traditional pastries and mint tea. The guests dance from time to time, and go back to the table to eat. We were still eating at 3pm!

So, here is an example of why being open to meet new people, from different cultures and origins, leads you to travel and live unique occasions you will never be able to experience by yourself.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About tupaia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.