Existing Member?

The Suitcase

Kallí Pólis

ITALY | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [239] | Scholarship Entry

My journey begins from the heart of the old world, the 'magnagrecia'. Apulia also known as the "heel of Italy" is the region that hosted the eighth century settlers Phoenicians and Greeks who colonized and imprinted signs of an ancient culture and Eastern Europe. The name derives from the greek Kallipolis and significance is twofold interpretation: city beautiful or "emporium franc". From experience I had I think that Gallipoli has both characteristics. It is a beautiful city, protected by four bastions towering over the sea and joined by white walls from which you can admire a breathtaking sunset. Watch the sea from this precise point, it means make out all shades of blue-green features of the Ionian Sea. The facilities of the place, located along the walls welcome all tourist who like to enjoy the sunset from the silence of the city is the noise of the sea and the typical music of the place. The beauty of the most precious of the Gallipoli but it turns out when we enter one of the small arteries of the historic center. The old town in its narrow streets, protects and hides an ancient history, of men who move fast hands to make fishing nets, of boys who find themselves in the church with the confreres to honor secular rites, of women sitting on the doorstep. Homes. The small houses of Gallipoli struck me to the tiny door that characterize the entrances of the houses most humble, the very same doors that instead a few meters away give access to magnific porches of local stone and frescoes and flowers. The scent of the flowers of the old town is mixed with the smells of the city of Salento, food and Mediterranean spices. All restaurants in the city will not disturb the quiet composure architectural, they are made to measure the buildings, not invade the space of the small alleys. You may come across a few steps away from each other, features shops selling "Viagra Salento" so is called the typical chili cluster of a red fiery and alive. It's just one of the many spices that color the narrow streets of Gallipoli.
Instead, if I were to tell the noise of the city, I would say that it's almost possible to distinguish between a slow pace and cadence of tourists who admire his head lifted the beautiful balconies of the houses or buildings that have preserved the soul and ancient oriental decorations restored original.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ttravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.