Existing Member?

Tommy & Rhonda's Travels

Queenstown to Milford Sound

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 3 November 2007 | Views [213]

As you can imagine, today was a sleep in day.  Rhonda got lots of sleep but slept well even with the bad back and it was better than the day before but still a ways off from feeling good.  We went back to Vudu for breakfast.  What a treat…Rhonda had the most delicious pancakes ever…blackberries, blueberries, banana…YUM!  I had a few bites and just another bagel for me.  I have not been eating a lot for breakfast since I feel like I have gained about 100 lbs already.  We enjoyed our morning and early afternoon in Queenstown and set off on our 4 hr or so drive to the Milford Sound.  Now, I have to say that everything we have done and are going to do on this trip excites me but this has to be right up near the top.  The drive was beautiful.  We saw probably 1 million sheep along the way and the mountains got prettier and prettier as we moved on and got closer.  Words cannot describe how beautiful this drive is…and our pics and video won’t do it justice either.  The snow capped peaks and the lakes and the occasional tree tunnel…it really is a breathtaking drive.  We finally made it to Milford and to the Milford Sound lodge where we were booked for the night.  The lodge is basically a youth hostel, and is the ONLY place to stay there unless you are on an overnight cruise.  We went down to the only place to eat, the Blue Duck and had dinner and a few beers for me!  We headed back to the lodge and tried for the wireless internet so Rhonda could watch some TV in the room but we couldn’t get the signal in our room.  So…we asked what we could do and headed out with a few others to look for the glowworms.  A girl that works at the lodge led us and we found heaps of them on our walk.  It was awesome to be in the middle of nowhere and see all of these glowworms on the rock.  Trust me, it was fun but of course there is absolutely nothing else to do there anyway!  After that we headed back to the room and got ready for bed and our big day of kayaking.   We went to sleep very hopeful of good weather in the morning (the weather had been perfect up to this point but rain was in the forecast).

Tags: Adventures

 

About ttlax


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.