Existing Member?

World Travelling before working... Visit Kati for a week

Singapore 1

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 29 January 2008 | Views [279]

Email Entry No. 1 of Singapore. Date: Tues Jan 29th 2008 at 1:40pm

Hello everyone, I miss all of you! I apologize for this long email but there are so many things to talk about :-)

I wish you could also be here to see Singapore with me, it is quite a fantastic place!!!  It would be even more interesting to see all this with you!

First of all,  on the flight here, I talked to an Australian who was doing business in Hong kong, a German wife- Britta and the Swiss husband-Charles who was traveling the world (many countries in Asia and heading to Australia). The couple has seen more cities in Vietnam than I could talk about: Hanoi, Hoi An, Hue, Da Lat, Ho Chi Minh city, etc. They were very kind to give me their phones and emails if I come to Switzerland they would be happy to see me. The Australian gentleman also gave me his business card and tell me to also contact him if I come to Hong Kong. He makes me feel like all Australians are incredibly friendly people and they can also talk a lot, which I smiled and nodded most of the time.

Singapore on the whole is warm, pretty clean, extremely safe, efficient and very comfortable.The best thing here is the mix of people which made it terrific to sit on a sidewalk cafe and watch people walking by. I saw many people from all over the world: Singaporeans, Chinese, Malay, Indians, Germans, Frenchs, Italians, Americans, Japanese. etc and of course, Vietnamese like me. It's common to hear English ( with different accents) and dozens of other languages anywhere in Singapore. I think this diversity here is one of the real treasures Singapore has.

So far I have walked around Singapore quite a bit and see a couple of very interesting things: ( in no particular order)

 1. Orchard Road: as busy as Times Square on bad days, sooo crowded. Mark would faint...but all the shopping is fantastic. There are so much choices in styles and stores as much as  other great shopping city: New York and Vegas. These massive multi-storey malls can be interconnected and like in Vegas, being in them for a while and you have no clue whether it's day or night, hot or cold outside. It made me think: come on, Singapore isn't small, it's massive judging by the sizes of their malls.

 2. Singapore MRT, which is the underground transit, it is modern, clean, fast and air conditioned. It is very simple to use with similar organization as the D.C. metro. But the difference is every MRT station (of which I have seen anyway) is a huge underground shopping centers. I mean it, you can't imagine it unless you see it with your own eyes. There are sometimes 3 levels underground and it makes you wonder how deep you are. Smart money making plan for their subway station. There are many choices of affordable food there too. In short, you cannot escape shopping if you are in Singapore. If I see another shopping mall, think I'm gonna cry. You have to look everywhere you go, it's terrible for your budget. Hae, you'll suffer most here and also at Orchard :-) I'm doing pretty well ( I think) because I'm sick of shopping now.

3. Food: if you come to Singapore, drink their coffee and tea, which is very good (the local version is different than the U.S.) Thanks to a multicultural society here, the selection is great. Most the food stalls are clean (inspection is strict and competition is fierce as the Lonely Planet guide told me). My fav places to eat are the "food courts" called the Food Republic (literally). The choices are staggering. Each Food Republic is decorated in a different style. So far, I ate in the library one ( in Suntec Bldg) and one that looks like ancient China with red lanterns, and wooden everything, quite charming. For all this, it only cost around $6 ( maybe 4.50 US dollars) for some Chinese noodle soup with a coffee. It's the place to dine in style on a budget!

They also have wonderful bakeries which makes me drooooool. I can eat there all the time, most only cost S$1.50 :-)))) Of course, they have more expensive places to eat too, like by the fancy Singapore River ( fantastic View). Locals told me chilli crab is a must try.

4. Museum and Theatre: I went to the Singapore National Museum and the Asian Civilization Museum. At the National Museum, I only had time to check out their borrowing collection of Greek sculptures from the Lourve. Apparently, it's one of the largest collection the Lourve let anyone borrowed, 180 pieces of them all. The thing that impressed me at these museum is how modern their lighting system is. Everything is so well lighted and carefully arranged it really can create good moods.

The Asian Civilization Museum was awesome!!!! I'd say it could be on the par with the New York Metropolitan Museum of Arts. I went with my sister's class. It was their field trip. We had a British guide who specializes in Egyptian anthropology and loves history. He was so coool and knowledgable.And I must say that I'm a lucky girl. Arupa, listen to this carefully! When I was there, there was a special exhibition called On The Nalanda Trail, which was a Buddhist school thousands years ago. Security in this exhibition is tight like in New York with guards, metal detectors and strictly no bags which is common for New York but strange for safe Singapore. The reason is they had the Buddha relics displayed on loan from India. Monks come here to pay respect and such. India only lets this treasure out of their country TWICE and I was here just in time to see it. I learned and saw more of Buddhism and Islam in an hour than I know my entire life. In short, it was a very moving experience!!! Dave and Mona, I think you would also find this museum a treasure considering how we enjoyed museums on our trips.

There are still many things I'd like to see here yet. Tonight, I have tickets for the La Traviata opera at the Esplanade. It was built to be iconic on par with Sydney Opera House in Sydney. I can't wait. It's gonna be 3 hours long though!!
That's it for now. I'm sorry again for the length of this email. It's good practice for my English writing too :-)

Bye now,
Lan

Tags: Sightseeing

About truongl2


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.