Existing Member?

Wanderlust is my drug

Down the colored canal

DENMARK | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

There I was sitting inside a boat on the Nyhavn Canal waiting to take a guided tour. All I could think was I am going to have to remember this day forever. The trip to getting to Copenhagen took one dear friend, a random invite, one checked bag, two connecting flights, over 4000 miles, zero jet lag ( time difference was kind to me) and would you know it summer was in full bloom to say “ Hej Danmark”. All the research done and travel shows watched prior to the trip could not have possibly prepared me at all for that breathtakingly amazing view. You almost feel like you’re in a postcard and it took me a while to take it all in as I just stood there and tried to look “in place”. From the sounds of a live jazz band playing nearby and armed with on open sandwich in hand I just wanted to blend into the picture perfect sight. Even though it was summer, my friend had warned me about the Danish summer being Ah well not always sleeveless shirts and shorts kind of summer. And would you know it Mother Nature picked this day to put a picture to that kind of weather. All snuggled up and a few snaps of the scenery off we were. Now this is where I tell a bit of history about the different stops we made but, you will be forgiven for getting lost in the views of the mini yachts and people docked in them as you rode past them. Also, as you go past the iconic colored houses you can’t help but wonder who lives there and wish they would invite you over for a cup of coffee? At this point the camera wasn’t doing any justice to the view so I chose to just take it all in. I love tours and the main reason is because you can always look at the person sitting next to you and even if you don’t know each other the fact that you can both appreciate something for the first time together is always a great feeling. This happened a few times but especially when we got to the little mermaid. “She” may be little but, the heightened sense of amazing she gives out is anything but. I must have taken 10 different pictures and when I look back at them now it always takes me back to that feeling. There was a sand sculpture exhibition along the shores which made for some really cool foreground to the Royal Theater. I believe it’s not enough to do the canal tour once if you ever land in Copenhagen. I should know because I took it three times and I still couldn’t get enough because it seemed on every trip there was a new way to see everything.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About truleemillie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.