Existing Member?

A trip down memory lane..

Nostalgic Rajasthan

INDIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [101] | Scholarship Entry

I live. I love. I laugh. I am a gypsy soul, who lives to travel and loves good food, art, fashion, vintage artefacts and, anything creative and beautiful. The trails have hope, travelling through them gives me happiness. I walked these roads to happiness through the rustic charm and regal ambience of Rajasthan – the land of royalty, tucked away in the majestic deserts of Western India.I have a hypnotic romanticism for the palaces, people and possibilities that Rajasthan is.
Being a fashion entrepreneur takes me to all nooks and crannies of the world in search of ethnic beauty expressed through fabric , jewellery and artefacts.
Last year, I managed to visit Rajasthan, the gorgeous jewel of India twice in six months. My first visit took me to Jaipur, the state capital and second to Jodhpur.
Rajasthan is a desert state and needless to say life of the locals in most part of the state isn’t very easy. They have to walk for miles each day to source water for their everyday need. Harsh summers and equally harsh winters make for extreme living conditions. Average people are not affluent, infact some villages are quite poor but the warmth they will shower on you is as rich as it gets. They are probably the most simple, humble and hospitable people I have encountered in India. Their generosity is heart-warming.
In india, we believe in the concept of Atithi devo bhava, which translated to English means, Where guest is God. Nowhere have I seen this practised more than in this beautiful region.
A couple of impromptu trip for business sourcing ended up being two fabulous memorable vacations. Hanging out at local joints, mingling with the tribal folks, buying vintage fabrics and decades old silver and artefact, I found a piece of me that I never knew existed. My love for Rajasthan grew just a little more, my respect for the people grew manifold. Their hardship knows no bound, yet the smile on their faces, the satisfaction that they derive from the simple lifestyle is admirable.
I am not from this part of the country but the love I have for the state, its people and culture is unparallel.
A trip isn’t made special just by the place or its art, architecture and history but by its people, the interactions you have along the way, the conversations that remain etched in your memory or the innocent smiles that you carry in your mind forever.
There’s a Rajasthani saying, ‘Padharo maro des’ which means come and visit my land. And I, for one can’t wait to go back.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About trufflesandtrails


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.