Existing Member?

Life isn't the number of breaths you take but the number of moments that take your breath away

One moment in time

INDONESIA | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

We were woken up in the dead of night (3am!). Groggy and blurry eyed we piled into a van and drove along dirt tracks and empty roads. Our destination was Borobudur Temple, a 1,200 year old UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Central Java, Indonesia. This temple is the world's largest Buddhist monument which seats over 500 Buddha statues along a 95-foot-high step pyramid overlooking valleys, dense vegetation and simmering volcanoes.

My friends and I had picked the 'deluxe tour' which meant we were one of a privileged few who would be getting to the temple before dawn and would watch sunrise beside the towering Buddha's. (The dawn watches are limited in number so you need to book far in advance or bag, as we did, a last minute cancellation slot!) We were told it would be great, we just didn't realise how great.

Once dropped off we were given silk scarves to hang over our shoulders (as a sign of respect) and head torches. We then headed over to the terrace for an early breakfast. We feasted on fresh mangosteen (a tangy flesh-white fruit), ripe mangoes and melon, followed by a selection of breads and raw mint tea.

Feeling thoroughly satisfied and slightly more awake we were told that dawn would soon be upon us and we needed to start our assent to the top of the pyramid pronto! Our guide showed us the way and whilst he floated along like a feather the steep steps meant I rather ungracefully trundled along behind!

The air was crisp and having taken a detailed look at the exquisite craftsmanship surrounding me I plonked myself on a step and waited. By 5am the sun started to peak out from the mountains.

With baited breath (and camera!) we watched as it continued to rise. For over 40 minutes it rose steadily amongst the clouds scattering its rays against the volcanoes and Buddha's alike. From pale hues of blue to scorching reds the sky danced like an oil painting. It was electrifying and unlike anything I have ever experienced. I am not a religious person but on that day, amongst the temple, I felt an incredible sense of peace. My mind was blank, a canvas that was being illustrated with the same colours I saw whirling before my eyes. I realised that regardless of what happens in my life it is moments like these that truly make it worth living.

That was the first time I felt like I was meant to be in that place, at that time and for that purpose. It was the first time that everything…just made sense.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tropical_igloo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.