Existing Member?

I'll tell you when i find it

The change conspiracy

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 27 February 2008 | Views [666]

There's this tiny, far reached community somehwere hidden in deep Argentina where a dire conspiracy exists i swear. This well-concocted scheme is inbedded in the fiscal pockets of Argentina and has far reaching effects on everyday people. It`s name, `the change conspiracy`.

I`m unsure of the name of this community. It`s secret and noone speaks of it, possibly for fear of further retributions to their commuinity. What happens in this conspiracy though is nothing short of ridiculous and the motivations for it are, at this point in my travels, speculative at best. The ramifications that occur from the conspiracy are simple. A continuous lack of monetary change in all shops from supermarkets to delis to service stations to, in some smaller towns, banks! Yes, thats right, some banks don`t have change. It`s as if when smaller change is procured from an unsuspecting citizen (anything less 10 pesos- AU$4)it is sent directly to this undiclosed location where it is what? hoarded, burnt? melted down into dulce de lecce? who can say. What is clear is that the shop keepers are somewhat in on the conspiracy. If you walk into a shop in Argentina, do not consider to be asking for change directly. No, at this you would be laughed at immediately. At least purchase something and be praying as you hand over that 20 peso note (AU$8) that is accepted and that you are not, as is more often then case sent to another store close by with knowing smirk from the shopkeeper that circumstances are no different there as they proclaim earnestly, "no cambiar" - can`t change. What do you mean, no change!? you`re a shop. and i just saw your till from the last customer full with notes. Oh, and forget going anywhere with a 100 peso note.

There is only one solution to this conspiracy and i would urge you all to follow in my path. To beat a conspirator you must be a conspirator. So, hoard your change. refuse to pay for anything with anything less than that which will give you more change. And when those innocent eyes look up and say, "do you have the 50 centavos?" as you make your purchase, a simple "no cambio" is all that is required. ;o)

Tags: Budgets & money

About tristanabba


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.