Existing Member?

United by Travel

Transportation Meets Destination

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [68] | Scholarship Entry

Startled back into reality when the conductor spoke the famous words, “All aboard!” I followed the sound of his incredible howl and climbed on board making my way through the narrow walkways to my cabin. I could feel a sense of magic in the atmosphere, was it the excitement of my new quest? The unique people? Or perhaps the smell? Not that the smell was bad per say, it was a combination of grease and old luggage, but I didn’t care. That smell was the start of an electrifying journey.

Taking the train from Colorado to California seemed like a crazy idea, especially in the 21st century when you could save time by traveling on a plane, but I was excited to travel beyond just normal transportation.

After settling in the train, the Zephyr activated in slow motion until the engines could spring forward in a more practical pace. I made sure to make reservations for dinner that evening and on my way there I stumbled upon the lounge car, I decided on my way back I would spend some time in there.

The lounge was complete with comfortable seating and the entire wall covered in flawless clear windows for a full view on both sides. The view was breath taking, known as Colorful Colorado, I stared at magnificent mountains covered in trees and flowers making the most striking combination of colors.

I met some very interesting people, one couple I met were from Berlin and thought traveling on the California Zephyr would be an exciting way to get to California. We talked about how traveling on a train was more than just getting from point A to point B, it was about the journey featuring relaxation and comfort.

After spending my time admiring the beauty of nature, I went back to my cabin to change for dinner. The dinning car was exactly like I imagined; small fancy white tablecloth covered tables snuggled up to the full view windows. I felt like I was in a movie, the old-fashioned charisma and incredible food made my experience in the dinning car even more luxurious.

The next day I spent roaming the different train cars but ended in the lounge enjoying the view as we made it into California. The trip ended in Emeryville and I was so delighted that I had made my journey the way so many knew as the only way to travel.

I gathered my things and made my way off the train when I saw the conductor who had hollered at the start of my journey; he smiled and asked me what I thought about my trip, and I replied, “This train is a destination in itself.”

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About trishanngarcia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.