Existing Member?

Small things on the road

About people;

CANADA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

It was the most unplanned trip that I could have done in my life. Do you know when your life is a mess and you do not know what will happen with you in the next day? It was exactly my situation.
I had my final project to handle in two days, my landlord just said that he was selling the house and I found an internship job in another city. It means that I had to finish my project, put all my life in two bags and move on.
A group of international students from the university that I am studying were planning a road trip to the west coast of USA. One of them called me and said “we still have a free spot in the car , do you want to go?”. I checked my savings, I had money enough to buy the cheapest flight ticket and share the car rent and the gas. My answer was yes, without think two times.
I finished my project and I left all my stuff in a friend’s house. In the airport I just found out that I was 20h without eating anything, going to a trip with people I just saw once, from different countries: Brazil, Spain and Egypt , different cultures and languages.
At the end of the trip, I was at the same airport, thinking again, I noticed how much I have been learning with people that I met on the road, not just the people that shared the expenses with me, I am talking about the woman from the small shop in San Francisco, the man that paid a coffee for me in Yosemite or the guy that laughed with me in the pier at Santa Monica.
I’ve made many friends, people from every single part of the world. It is the best part of traveling.With some of them I can have a conversation for endless hours talking about everything and in the same time nothing.
It is amazing, when you meet someone with a different culture and thoughts; you are able to learn a lot when you see the world with different eyes. At the same time, when you meet someone that share the same thoughts with you it makes you smile. You feel like you were friends since many time ago. It is crazy, how someone that you never saw before could share many common things with you?
In the end of this trip I looked back and I saw that everything was worthwhile.
Definitely, it's not about the road, it is about people you have met on the road.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About trindadelarissa

Grand Canyon

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.