Existing Member?

Tales from the continent

Destination Africa complete

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 12 September 2009 | Views [577] | Comments [4]

Have arrived safely into Cape Town.  The trip over here was pretty uneventfull, had window seats on both legs of the flight so that was quite good, Singapore Airlines are fantastic, i could never fly with another airline again, except Air New Zealand of course. So arrived in Cape Town around 10am and arrived at the hostel about 11am customs etc was really quick, so checked in and then decided to book my tours before i spent any money, so yesterday i went to the cape of good hope which is the most southerly part of Africa and where lots of ships got wrecked over the last 400 years, this trip was absolutely amazing, firstly we went to an old fishing village first settled by the dutch back in the 1600s and took a boat ride out to seal island, and there were seals alright thousands of them, got back on shore and headed a little further south to false bay and Simonstown where we went to a penguin colony and got close i mean real close you can actually touch them, after that we went and watched some whales breaching a little further around in the bay, then we headed down towards "The Cape" as we were nearing the cape of good hope..Baboons!!!! ....... Baboons everywhere coming up to the van with there little babies they were really cute and if that wasn't enough there were ostrich's with there babies as well, you wouldn't belive this place, there is wildlife everywhere, where else in the world could you see Whales,Seals, Penguins, Baboons, and Ostrich's all at the same time?.

So that was my first full day in Africa, unbelievable!!!!

For my second day.........

I have just arrived back from shark cage diving!!! absolutely fantastic, got picked up at 4:50am( more about that later) and headed off for a 2 hour drive to where the boat is, had a warm breakfast there waiting for us so that was nice and then out we went,  it was unbelieveable, they drop you down into the water in these cages and bait the Great white sharks with what they call chum, but what we call burlie, lots of blood and fish heads etc, then these huge sharks come write up to the cage, we had 11 of them absolutely amazing wait till you see the photos its undescribable a cross between amazement/fear/awe/ all rolled into one, they are amazing creatures.... some of the sharks we saw had big hooks hanging out the side of them from where people have treid to catch them, very sad. They come write up to the cage like there trying to stare you down very scary, needed an undie change after that one.The Swell was massive i mean massive, none of the other operators went out, cause it was so big, but not a cloud in the sky, or a breath of wind, the Atlantic ocean is a completely different kettle of fish(excuse the pun) to the pacific, its a different colour and its thick i have never seen swell this big and i have spent some time on the water.

Anyway thats it for now, have tomorrow off, need to recover, am going to watch the All Blacks South Africa game at the local with my All Blacks jersey on so that should be interesting, especially if we win.

Then on Sunday i am going on a wine tasting tour to Stellenboschand then on monday i am going to a black township to help out for half the day and then im going to Robbin island to look at the prison where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. So its all go go go, am looking forward to my rest day tomorrow.

 

Comments

1

dear dan by now you are probably aware of the faact that the all blacks did not do the deed in the rugby test on saturday night shit happens my friend ask any australian who follows rugby!!!!!!!!!!!! now to more serious stuff. good to see you are having a good time. now to burnside. according to goeff baldwin the 2nds switched off 5mins into the game amd it was a disgrace. the firsts did a real nummber on port with a 49-0 halftime score and a 70something to 5, final scoreline. keep in touch vince

  vince Sep 13, 2009 9:15 AM

2

you are not keeping up to date with your journal Daniel we need the details of your trip to robbins Island and the black township.where are you off to next etc etc.lovely day hear on the coast as usual Sophie stayed th night and is getting ready for school love from us all here bye for now .

  narnie Sep 15, 2009 7:13 AM

3

hi Daniel where are you?hope you are having too much fun to waste time keeping a journallove from us all xx

  Narnie Sep 15, 2009 2:04 PM

4

HELLO DAN. YOUR TRIP SOUNDS FUN. SHOULD HAVE TAKEN ME WITH YOU :P

AHA I HOPE YOUR HAVING FUN, I MISS YOU. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU LATER ON IN THE YEAR, BRING MR BACK A SOUVENIR :):)

XX

  SOPHIA Sep 15, 2009 5:30 PM

About treasure_hunter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.