Existing Member?

Discovering Local Culture

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

INDONESIA | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [220] | Scholarship Entry

One of the most famous island in Indonesia is Sulawesi or called Celebes. In Sulawesi there is a part of the island in the North named Minahasa region, where you can dive the famous Sea World in Indonesia named Bunaken.
People in Minahasa are very familiar and they love to eat. They love spicy and bizarre food. There are only two seasons in Minahasa, dry and rainy season but, there are many occasions which brings us to enjoy the taste of Minahasa food.
One of them is Thanksgiving for Harvest in August sometimes September, where we can see the real culture and tradition of the local people which is "we are all one family."
Every family will bring their harvest as an offering to the church or temple and thanking God for the success of the harvest. Then, each house will put their harvest, food, drinks and snacks in front of their house so that everyone can take any kind they want to have and taste, even strangers are invited to take and try. They have no fear of lacking the harvest and food because the people believed that they are blessed to bless others.
As I was witnessing and experiencing the season and the kind heart of Minahasa people, took me to an understanding of why food is very effective for Minahasa people to bridge relationship and friendship even to a total stranger. We will feel no distance and can mingle instantly with the local people as if we are their family.
Minahasa people likes to build relationship, through food people can talk and stay longer for chit chatting and to know each other deeper and closer until we become one family.



Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About travelove


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.