Existing Member?

The princess and the cancun frog

Señor Frogs

MEXICO | Sunday, 17 May 2015 | Views [99] | Scholarship Entry

We'd just left Havana for the party location of Cancun. Havana, where it looked like a postcard from the 1960’s with old world cobble stoned pathways, hidden lane ways and groups of middle-aged men smoking cigars outside of hole in the wall cafes for Cancun. Known for its Mayan temples, Tequila, spring break and girls gone wild. You can imagine I was some what wary as to whether I’d be mugged or asked to be on film. The air was thick and there were palm trees all around. Being mid afternoon the sun was just lowering towards the horizon which created massive palm shadows.

We made our way to our hotel thoroughly excited about the prospect of going out for a drink on Friday night. We dropped off our bags at our hotel and made a plan to head to the main city center. The center of town is only a few kms long but the main attractions and hotels are sprawled along a road that runs for about 20kms. The buses are immaculate and only about .8c AUD with free Wi-Fi and can be ridden all day.

We hadn't eaten yet so we headed out for a bite to eat. We chose a restaurant with a massive smiling frog out the front, because what says classy restaurant like a giant frog in the entrance. After finding our seats, a waiter (his name coincidentally being Cuba) stood pointed signs next to us. As mine stated I gave free kisses I felt it only appropriate to honor my allocation and present Cuba with a cheeky peck.

As the night progressed, they started to move the tables and chairs. People started flowing through the doors and eventually where we’d been eating was now an amassed dance floor with drunken vacationers ready to party and as we were on holiday, we went with the flow. Nearing towards midnight we headed to the bathroom where we were greeted by a man who was offering tattoos and piercings. We smiled and walked by.

On return we noticed a girl getting an eyebrow piercing. I hadn't thought much of getting another piercing but what better time than now when I'm drunk, on holiday and standing outside of a toilet. Navel piercing here I come ran through my head. Waking in the morning I noticed that my piercing was a little odd. It was somehow about 2 inches higher than were it as meant to be meaning I now inadvertently had a surface piercing rather than a navel one. I removed it after a week.

So do I regret it? No, because hindsight is 20/20 and that night I was seeing double and I'd do it 100 times over. Cancun is random and so is the beautiful scar 2 inches above my navel.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About travelorbust


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.