Existing Member?

Adventures in Asia

The Cow Scare and Stare

HONG KONG | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

Cows, I was surrounded by them, chewing seemingly idly away on leaves of grass they had so viscously plucked out of the wet ground. I was cornered and the only way out was through my newly appointed opponents, who stared through the broken windows and dilapidated frame. And the day had begun so well. Oh, wait. That was a lie.

I had come on a direct flight from Germany and landed at 7am, reaching the top of Lantau Island in Hong Kong one hour later after a near suicidal bus ride up narrow slopes. The tourist village was deserted as if the wavering fog had swallowed everything whole. That is, everything except lazy dogs and viscous cows.

Following exotic butterflies, I felt like Alice in Wonderland being lured into the depths. Getting lost was a vital part of travel and I was an ardent believer in its virtues. However, I admit I should have prepared more for what I was about to discover because the cows that made me cower in a ruin of a building were not what I had expected. It might have helped to take a closer look at the bus. They were a big attraction on the island. The feral cows of Lantau.

Feral being a rather badly chosen term. It turned out these cows were extremely unfazed by scared Europeans and after I had lost the staring contest, turned their backs on me. It was then that I realised the beauty I was trapped into. Not only presented the houses that provided me with my misguided refuge a wonderful picture and stood in stark contrast to the vibrant nature with the leaves dancing and water droplets pooling on the roof tiles; the whole area was so full of wonders my camera fogged up in excitement.

With the adrenaline still in my veins and excitement rushing to my head, I set out to explore the jungle anew, away from the well tread tourist paths and onto muddier grounds with the cows standing close by, having already estimated me a harmless human. The fog shrouded the path ahead of me and with the green canopy serving like a window around it, it was the best time I could have chosen. No crowds but early birds and wild animals. From tiny leaves that slowly shook off the rain water to bubbling streams and a lone dog racing across my way, the jungle had so much to offer. And no, going to botanical gardens does not even closely compare.

So, when you visit one of the world's biggest Buddhas, make sure you appreciate the glorious nature that lies just next to a metropolis known for its skyscrapers. Magic can be so close and yet is often so overlooked.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About travelonthebrain

Me travelling the world

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.