Existing Member?

amazing eperience

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

GREECE | Thursday, 24 March 2011 | Views [299] | Scholarship Entry

The world is a mysterious place.Traveling from one place to another brings us closer to the principles of nature, to the way that people function in another culture, thir values,beliefs,customes and attitudes and enriches us with new lifelong experience.
You can never be sure that you know how, for example a Greek specialty gyro tastes no matter how many gyros you have eaten in your own country, unless you go in Greece and order it in some restaurant or fast-food outlet. then is when you realize that you have never tasted a real gyro in your life.
While I was in Greece ona holiday I was staying in my relatives' house near the beach in Leptocarya, Pieria. At first the fact that it bothered me was that the food our host prepared contained a lot of spices. That spicy taste prevented me from t discover the real taste of the food. But after a while I've noticed that the spices represented scent of the Eagean Sea, the flora and fauna in it, the smell of the seawhile transpiring in the morning, and qucly I got used to such taste.
One of the most important aspects of Greek cousine is the olive. Olives are higly popular in Greece and in Leptocarya, it was impossible to see house without olive treas in the garden. Greek cooks use a lot of olive oil when they cook, and to someone who is not use to such taste can be amazing experience tasting food that containes olive oil. The olive tree is definitely a landmark of Greece. Another important aspect of Greek cousine is the national drik -ouzo. For those who taste it for the firs time it can be a journey to the heart of Greece, to the widespread Thesalonikian field, reminding us of the fresh fruit taste.
Even though in my oppinion Greek food is what it characterizes Greece mostly, it was impossible for me not to notice other aspects of the Greek culture. One of them is the big, massive Greek house, designed so that are comfortable for many people, not just family but frends, relatives and acquaintances. Guest room is very important room of the house and that highly relates to the Greek hospitality and natural openess and cheerfulness. Antique past is highly praised in most families in Greece. Sculptures of ancient Gods ond Goddess fulfil the image of the traditional values of Greek people like faith and religion.
It is impossible to talk about Greece without mentioning the Greek traditional dance that they are practicing every now and then, especially for special pccasions. I was lucky enough to be there no St. Maria's Day celebrated in August, and our hosts celebrated that day as a family celebration. Manu people came in our hosts house, ate and drunk a lot and later that evening they danced, so it was amazing experience to see all those happy faces who treat you as close friend from the very beginning of your encounter.
It was a pleasure beng in Greece, and I confirmed once again that unless you go there and see for yourself you cannot understand what other people are actually saying.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About travelogue


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.