Existing Member?

One day at a time-or maybe half a day around the world o be or not to be a social butterfly...That is the question? This week my jobs are buying insurance, buying flights out of Egypt to India, working a blo/journal that I like to use, and getting my clothes tailor ready in hopes of traveling without a piece

Children in the streets of Cairo

EGYPT | Monday, 29 November 2010 | Views [308]

I had to see to cross the street in a very u party it for my own eyes. The difference of culture within the act of crossing the street or being in the traffic street with  their mother. It is a learned life style to cross the street with holding your mother's hand. We wouldn't dream of putting our children on the outside of traffic, letting them get out of the car on the traffic side, much less play in the street. I have to say it is defintely a cultural skill of the Egyptian. Each child knows when to move, how to move and when to yield. The car knows the speed of the gate of the walker, the angle of the traffic flow and the unique language of the car horn. The best example I can give is the story of the English family getting out of the car at the birthday party in a very quiet gated neighborhood and holding the child close to the car as if  they were on the edge of a cliff. The Egyptian holds the child's hand with the child on the outside and the traffic coming straight at them and they dont even flinch. Today Hannah and I stood on the side of the road  waiting for our ride like an Egyptian. Sometimes I forget where I am a cross the street only to be quickly brought back to reality that I AM IN EGYPT!

About travelmitzvah-global


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.