Existing Member?

Eat Love and Learn It

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 8 April 2012 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

Manado. I went there for the first time about 3 years ago. Located in North Sulawesi,there are many interesting places for tourism, and, of course, food!

I tried Bubur Manado, which is a rice porridge, mixed with corn, pieces of fish, mixed vegetables and chilli “sambal”. It tasted good, and really spicy. It really made me sweat! Haha. Then, my father and I went to the traditional market at the center of Manado. Guess what are they sell there? It's really hard to find beef or chicken, but there’s lots of pork, bat, dog and cat! That's really weird i think. So, i asked my driver how those animals could be made into good food.

He took me to the house of his neighbor. There, he introduced me to Mrs. Sondakh, who taught me how to cook pig, bat, and dog meat. It was really interesting, but, i didn't get to try how it tasted because I'm Moslem. I asked many questions about food and culture to Mrs. Sondakh. In that way, i could learn and understand the culture of Manado through food.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About travellover


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.