Existing Member?

A Week in Rome

Where gladiators tread...

ITALY | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [157] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I saw the Colosseum, it took my breath away. Which was unfortunate, as I needed it to tell a man in a gladiator costume to back off : “No, I don’t want to pay for a photo with you!” But aside from the aggressive street hawkers and vendors surrounding it, this immense structure is a thing of beauty, and the city itself is alive with culture, history, and the most amazing food you have ever eaten. I carb-loaded so much you’d think I was an endurance athlete! I was there by myself, attending a University conference, but really this was an excuse to explore the city where so many innovations first developed, for the Romans had a huge influence on architecture, contemporary language, literature, legal codes, government, medicine, sports, and so on. And the Colosseum is nothing, if not a testament to the Ancient Romans’ ingenuity with regard to architecture and engineering. Built in 72AD, it remains the largest amphitheatre in the world, and unlike the earlier Greek amphitheatres which were built into hillsides, the Roman Colosseum is entirely free-standing. I joined a walking tour where these and many other facts were related to us, but the amazement I felt wasn’t from learning how much limestone went into its construction (over 100,000 cubic metres) or how many people were estimated to have died in the events held there (approximately 400,000) – it was from wondering “How many people have stood where I now stand, and what were their circumstances?” Flash back almost 2000 years, and I might have been standing where a plebeian stood to watch a gladiatorial combat, or a wild animal hunt involving imported rhinoceros or lions or bears, or even a simulated sea battle, for the arena could be flooded with water to allow for nautical events! If I closed my eyes, the buzz of tourists could almost be mistaken for the hubbub of ancient citizens chatting to their neighbours whilst awaiting the next spectacle. There is a large concentration of other historical monuments not far from the Colosseum. Walking down the Via de Formi Imperiali, I felt that this had to be one of the most scenic avenues in the world, and my happiness was complete when I found a gelato store! My only regret on this trip would be not having anyone to share my experiences with. I hope to return one day with family or friends, so that I can be uninhibited in expressing my pleasure in everything this amazing city and its glorious history has to offer.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About travellinghoneypot

Me at The Colosseum

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.